Pickup swap for an old Superhawk

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:26 am

I need some advice on this pickup swap and among the responses, I was hoping to hear from Louis as he seems to have tried almost every pup on earth, although I've never heard him mention Lollers, which I am leaning toward.

I'm not going to come to any snap judgments regarding Louis' ban or 30 day suspension or whatever it is but I sure would like to know what the hell went on there. Louis is a character, and is very opinionated, we used to have a lot of guys like him on the old board, GW, Cajun Boy and Doc Pavo among others come to mind, and that's what separates this board from all the other boring places I've visited. I could say more but until I hear what happened I'll keep my big mouth shut!

Now on to the pup swap.

I recently picked up a 85-86 Superhawk, great guitar, all black with a nice dark ebony board and a fantastic set up, it has the Schaler pups in it which I never was very fond of as I have had them in a few Skyhawks (pics will be posted when I get time to take some, it does exist)

First question, Has anyone played a Cantrell with the overwound bridge pup designed by Jerry, that's an option if I can get one from G&L.
I also have in the stash an old Dimarzio SD from the early 70's and a early pat. Gibson bucker.
Or a custom wind from Jason Loller.

I only have one other guitar with buckers and that's an old F-100, to me they don't really sound like humbuckers and either do the schallers, they are both way to clean and just don't have that big bucker bite I'm looking for.

Gary

Re: Pickup swap for an old Superhawk

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:39 pm

Gary, I've never tried the Cantrell wound pickups so I can't comment on them. I've read a lot online about the old Superhawks, and several people have reported good success with the Dimarzio SD pickups in the bridge, and a PAF type pickup in the neck.

Earlier this year I replaced the stock pickups in an Ibanez PS10 (Mahogany body with maple top, rosewood fretboard) with the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set. (SH-2 Jazz in the neck, and SH-4 in the bridge). I couldn't be happier with them. They might be a good choice for you to read about because they have a nice smooth, warm tone. That might be good for the Superhawk because of the maple body and ebony board. Other pickups may be too bright with the maple body. The pickups have a great clean tone, and handles distortion well without getting muddy and losing the tone. There are video reviews of the pickups out there for you to check out to see if they might be for you. And if you ever decide the Superhawk is not for you, I would be more than happy to take if off your hands! :lol:

Good luck, hope this helps. I would be curious to hear what you decide on,
Dave