f100 Pickup swap

Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:50 pm

Hello, I have an f100 with the JB/Jazz pickup combo. Personally I love the jazz pickup, nice and warm smooth, however I really dislike the JB. The JB is a great pickup, just a little too sterile for my taste, however it does extremely well when distorted, good articulation etc. Here is the thing, I want to install a PTB control on the guitar, I would like to use a concentric pot set up so as to preserve the appearance of the guitar but the more I think about it the less likely it seems, so there will probably be a new hole drilled. As for the pickup swap, I am leaning toward a Pearly Gates/Jazz combo or a PG/f100 MFD or just going with a straight F100 MFD set up. Now here is another issue by going from the stock tone control to the PTB I will lose the single coil capability of the push pull pot, as a result I am thinking about using a set of Seymour Duncan Triple Shot bezels. I have these on another guitar with a set of Prails and I quite like the functionality and clean appearance. I am particularly interested in you opinion for the pick up combo, Louis if you are out there please speak up, as well as anyone else. I am having a hard time imagining what these combos would sound like. Thank you in advance for your input.

Re: f100 Pickup swap

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:02 pm

Aetrox wrote:Hello, I have an f100 with the JB/Jazz pickup combo. Personally I love the jazz pickup, nice and warm smooth, however I really dislike the JB. The JB is a great pickup, just a little too sterile for my taste, however it does extremely well when distorted, good articulation etc. Here is the thing, I want to install a PTB control on the guitar, I would like to use a concentric pot set up so as to preserve the appearance of the guitar but the more I think about it the less likely it seems, so there will probably be a new hole drilled. As for the pickup swap, I am leaning toward a Pearly Gates/Jazz combo or a PG/f100 MFD or just going with a straight F100 MFD set up. Now here is another issue by going from the stock tone control to the PTB I will lose the single coil capability of the push pull pot, as a result I am thinking about using a set of Seymour Duncan Triple Shot bezels. I have these on another guitar with a set of Prails and I quite like the functionality and clean appearance. I am particularly interested in you opinion for the pick up combo, Louis if you are out there please speak up, as well as anyone else. I am having a hard time imagining what these combos would sound like. Thank you in advance for your input.

Please see this post: READ THIS FIRST - About The Project Page sub-forum .... I am moving your post to the Let's Talk G&L Products sub-forum because you are just wanting input and suggestions. Once you are actually ready to do this project, then post your project on The Project Page sub-forum.

:ugeek:

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:14 pm

ok thank you I misunderstood. sorry

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:33 am

i would do the ptb on the concentric and leave a push push on the volume for splitting coils. i would either go 2 f100 mfd pups, or fralin unbuckers if you want the best split sound on top of great humbucking tone. the dallen alleycats is a vintage output humbucker that is phenomenal sounding. those would be my first choice aftermarket, unless money is not an issue, then tom holmes.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:33 pm

Thank you louis, I really like the idea of using the volume as a tap switch. I haven't given up on the concentric pot idea, I am just having a very hard time sourcing the appropriate combo. I honestly believe that I will try rebuilding a couple myself just to see what I can do. Also down deep in my heart I am leaning toward a MDF setup, but I will look into your suggestions. Thanks again.

Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:56 pm

well I spent some time Listening to some online recordings of both the Allen and the Holmes pickups. Holy cow the both sound great! I am now having to decide between the alley cats and the MFD's. When you said that money was no object when it comes to the Holmes you were not kidding, but wow all the samples I heard were great. Even the ones from the folks who, to put it politely, did not need such high end gear. BTW I am in that classification. Thanks for pointing out the alley cats, now I really have to think about it!

Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:00 pm

glad you like them. i have to say david (allen) has bar none the best customer service i have ever experienced. he will take pups back, or exchange them if someone is not satisfied. he will customize them as well to your taste if you wish. once i called him for some pups when he was leaving on vacation to visit his in-laws. he didn't have time to package and ship, but since his in-laws live only a few miles from me, he actually drove the set of pups over to my house. can you say personal delivery? as far as price, quality, sound and service, he is the best value. the tom holmes are incredible, but the price is not right. bare knuckle makes some nice humbuckers as well, i really like the mule, but they are not cheap either.