NGD 1984 Cavalier E

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:57 pm

my new Cavalier E and first Leo era guitar , its not a case queen but a player and I plan on playing it too! .... had a tech ck it over today and adjust the neck , everything looks great , I will re-string it later .... so far I'm liking it a bunch , its been modded with a 4 position switch , I like the sounds it makes and just love the way it feels .... this used to be Brad T's old guitar , Gabe had freshened it up years back and the tech today verified its still sweet and ready to play , heres a few snap shots I took out on the deck in direct sun light and it shows every flaw in the finish , but it actually looks pretty good anywhere except in the direct sun light

thanks for looking , Eric

Re: NGD 1984 Cavalier E

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:35 pm

Eric,

That's a very nice guitar. Is it what you were expecting in a Leo-era instrument? What are your impressions of the tone?

Ken

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:51 pm

I didn't know what to expect , plus I knew this wasn't a cherry "just like new" , again you never know what to expect , but its here now and I'm totally happy , it feels great in my hands , the vintage style frets are a lot smaller than my new G & L's but feel good , totally happy with the tones , I'm not sure what the factory tones are/or what the fourth poistion added but I like all four tones while playing clean on a Peavey Classic 30 ..... Bob also gave me a money back guarantee if I didn't like it , so it wasn't a total risk like most ebay ( another plus for buying here out of the Marketplace , thanks Craig ), but I was pretty sure I was going to like it anyway and I do

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:34 pm

Nice score Eric! Have fun with it. And like many, I'm interested to read your tone report after you played it for while.

- Jos

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:08 pm

do you guy's know if the control plate will come off seperate from the pick guard ??? it looks like it will if I loosen the pg a little bit...... I have the treble control acting up (seems stuck on high now regardless of turning it down , it was working correctly) and it needs turned down a bunch on the bridge pu , was wanting to remove the control plate to clean out the treble control with some contact cleaner and didn't want to risk hurting the crinkle finish since it butts up to the pg , I could remove it when I change strings if it will help

thanks , Eric .... this web site rocks !!

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:52 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:do you guy's know if the control plate will come off seperate from the pick guard ??? !

Yep, they designed it that way so you could work on it without taking off the strings...brilliant !!
Don't forget to take a couple pics of the guts for us :mrgreen:

Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:46 am

got it apart , clean the switch , put it back together and now it doesn't work at all , stuck on high treble and no messing with it makes it work , so I took it back apart and I noticed a metal terminal that looked soldered to the switch that came disconnected , got the soldering iron plugged in and soldered it back together and it works perfect again ..... sweet

this is the piece that came loose

heres another pict of it

since I posted shots out in the sun that made it look the worse it can be , here's a inside shot where it looks good

happy happy happy

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Like a crisp, freshly ironed tuxedo! Beauty! And did anybody tell you already Black just sounds better?

- Jos

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:28 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Like a crisp, freshly ironed tuxedo! Beauty! And did anybody tell you already Black just sounds better?

- Jos

....sounds faster too!..

it reminds me of my buddy's suped up Firebird,

thx for the detailed pics!

elwood

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:54 pm

its a sweety for sure , I really like it !! .... I'm not sure how to describe the tone's ?? ... it has its own tone , but I like it and its different ..... its for sure different than my Comanche , Legacy , SC 2 , ASAT Classic and my LP copy , not sure what I would call it though ??.... Peavey Classic 30 is the amp I'm using and no box's just clean

the treble stuck on high totally made the bridge pu useless , sure glad its fixed cause it sounds sweet now ..... I think I have the switch positions figured out now

position 1 would normally be the bridge pu but this must be the bonus 4th position as it has the darkest sound of any position , not sure how it works though ??

position 2 is bridge

position 3 is pu 1 & 2

and position 4 is neck pu

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:58 pm

That is awesome! You are on quite a roll
Any news on that special order?

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm trying not to think about it ...lol ...... I'm at the end on the buying spree for this year but its been good , the S 500 (listed in the market place) will be coming this week then the LE 2 and Buck Owens should do it when ever they show up , the Buck owens will be in Seattle before I get it , so you could probably stop in to see it , maybe bring your BO for a family shot ..... hopefully next year a late 80's ASAT or another Leo era G & L and a amp or two if buisness stays good

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:34 am

Holy sweetness Fumble!