time to buy , buy and buy : )

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:17 am

Well, if you have a fat mattress, there seems to be a lull in final auction prices on some really nice Leo-era G&L's.

I could see how that recent black ASAt with bubbled finished ,chipped and rusted control plate,etc went for 575,

but this one??!!?..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-ASAT-1986-L ... true&rt=nc

That George Fullerton went for 770 , Legacy's are going in the ball park of 500+ .
Has anyone else seen any recently that evoked a "d'oh" from the GAS center of the brain ?

elwood

Re: time to buy , buy and buy : )

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:29 am

nice looking one... when i think i paid 1000€ for a '93 one... :-/

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:07 am

My GAS is reasonably controlled at the moment. Knowing those deals are out there makes things more difficult. I would really like for my "final" lineup of ASATs to be three maple-bodied '86s in black, blonde and sunburst. I would gladly have moved one of the current herd out to make room for the one that just sold!

Ken

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:40 am

I almost bid on that with 20 seconds to go , my bid would of won it easily too , well maybe not easily but I was going to go 800.00 on it and didn't , I still got two more on order so I thought I better wait for 2014 before I start getting a couple Leo era guitars and I really like the older F100's, hope the price will stay down for just a little bit longer....... that ASAT special with no reserve was a good deal too , theres a couple good deals out there right now but I'm still real happy with what I paid for my Comanche off CL and my used ASAT from the local G & L dealer

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:10 am

it's good to see this puppy going for 'not cheap' .
I was going to maybe go to 200 but yesterday a 12 string appeared on my radar that I'm smitten with.
So, no ELectricWOOD rock pig with one Z-bucker at the bridge .
I hope the winner of this one is familiar here, maybe we can eventually have a soundclip or even some specs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271248855582?ss ... 1436.l2649

elwood

(edit* hosted the photo at SlicPic so it won't be deleted ,as well as the other pics in the auction -album's title is Z bucker)
Last edited by Elwood on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:04 am

meursault wrote:nice looking one... when i think i paid 1000€ for a '93 one... :-/

I paid my 1993 ASAT for 900 euros as far as I'm concerned... Expensive when I saw the ssecond hand US G&L on eBay.com!

I had seen this 1986 sunburst ASAT on eBay.com, and I'm amazed by the final price... 575 USD = 435 €, a price for a Tribute ASAT here in France!!! :crazy:

I'd like to buy in USA, but because of the VAT and the custom fees, it's not really interesting. But man, a 1986 ASAT for 435 euros, even with shipping and custom fees, it would be a VERY fair price! Amazing. :shock:

Btw Meursault, have you got pics of you 1993 ASAT? :evilgrin:

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Oooh! What a nice price! It makes me look like I spent stupid money for my NOS 2005 Tribute ASAT Special Semi-Hollow. Oh well! :)

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:42 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:I still got two more on order...

Fumble,

I thought you had received at least one of your orders already. What are you waiting on this time?

Ken

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:46 pm

got a LE 2 coming from Chicago .... and a very special ASAT Deluxe coming from Seattle

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:27 pm

ChinoGee wrote:I paid my 1993 ASAT for 900 euros as far as I'm concerned... Expensive when I saw the ssecond hand US G&L on eBay.com!

I had seen this 1986 sunburst ASAT on eBay.com, and I'm amazed by the final price... 575 USD = 435 €, a price for a Tribute ASAT here in France!!! :crazy:

I'd like to buy in USA, but because of the VAT and the custom fees, it's not really interesting. But man, a 1986 ASAT for 435 euros, even with shipping and custom fees, it would be a VERY fair price! Amazing. :shock:

Btw Meursault, have you got pics of you 1993 ASAT? :evilgrin:

900€ case included ?

yeah... i can't believe how lucky they are... about price and the variety... here we find, asat, legacy, S-500... period ! never saw any SC for example... cursed and damned we are ! :lol:

you'll find some pics here :

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8134

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=8151

Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:22 am

Can't wait to see that deluxe Eric!

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:36 am

its going to James for a final set up and photo shoot first so you can probably see it before me .... aargh , the dreaded wait ..lol

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:40 am

meursault wrote:
900€ case included ?

Yep! Here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=118&t=5701

yeah... i can't believe how lucky they are... about price and the variety... here we find, asat, legacy, S-500... period ! never saw any SC for example... cursed and damned we are ! :lol:

meursault wrote:you'll find some pics here :

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8134

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=8151

Your 1992 Special is great!!! :luv:

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:28 am

thanx...

yours is quite cool as well... weird to see the black bridge/control plate with regular mechanics... kinda mix asat/asat special ^^

Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:51 pm

meursault wrote:thanx...

yours is quite cool as well... weird to see the black bridge/control plate with regular mechanics... kinda mix asat/asat special ^^

Yes, hard to say it's an ASAT or an ASAT Special:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5646

:shocked028:

Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:23 pm

I've been seeing an '87 ASAT maple body 'burst (like the one at the top of this thread but rosewood board and crinkle all around) for sale for months on the SF Bay Craigslist. Seller wants an even 1K for it...

Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:39 pm

I've stated in many amp-related threads that I don't get GAS over amplifiers. Today I stopped by my local shop and saw my Holy Grail: a stock '63 Ampeg B-15 (exactly what James Jamerson played on the Motown classics). That's thirty years of not lusting after amps down the drain! I'll probably be throwing an instrument or two up in the Marketplace later today, to see if I can fund the purchase.

Ken

Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:08 pm

I happy for ya Ken ( talking to the amp half of your brain ),
I feel for your loss ( addressing the other half )...may your sales be quick and painless .

Watching some old Floyd listening to Rogers tone closely started me lusting after those old Ampegs too,
finding a twin reverb with JBL's would light a fire for me , one that I might afford that is .

Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:27 pm

Elwood wrote:Watching some old Floyd listening to Rogers tone closely started me lusting after those old Ampegs too,
finding a twin reverb with JBL's would light a fire for me , one that I might afford that is .

IIRC they had a very early silver face Twin Reverb, along with a '68 Bassman head and cabinet. That Bassman came pretty close to lighting a fire for me too.

Elwood wrote:I happy for ya Ken ( talking to the amp half of your brain ),
I feel for your loss ( addressing the other half )...may your sales be quick and painless .

I have a couple of G&Ls that have been waiting for the right trade, so I don't foresee any pain in parting with them. The problem is figuring out whether/how a B-15 would fit into my overall amp situation. I'm no longer running out of room - I'm completely out of room. I don't have any amps that I would want to see go. The JC-120 is taking up the most space and getting the least amount of use, but it's also my best amp for synths. My old Bassman Ten has been my go-to since it handles bass and guitar well, but if it goes to the basement I will be short a guitar amp in my playing room. Decisions, decisions...

Ken

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:22 pm

It could have been something from '79 (Wall tour), Watersish.com states he was using the B-18N .
I bet there was an Alembic F-2B in the mix at times .
http://www.watersish.com/archives/cat_amps.html

I love my SVT llP preamp (Like this one : http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/f-s- ... lp-998553/ )
Jesse Oliver's legacy lives on ...Loudly ,Clearly ,and with just the right amount of Growl :thumbup:

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:09 am

KenC wrote:I've stated in many amp-related threads that I don't get GAS over amplifiers. Today I stopped by my local shop and saw my Holy Grail: a stock '63 Ampeg B-15 (exactly what James Jamerson played on the Motown classics). That's thirty years of not lusting after amps down the drain! I'll probably be throwing an instrument or two up in the Marketplace later today, to see if I can fund the purchase.

Ken

I knew I shouldn't have gone looking..this one's in town, not cheap..but not outrageous if the caps and tubes etc. are good.

http://www.tradingmusician.com/catalog/ ... 6&id=14087

What is the asking price for the B-15 your looking at (if ya don't mind)?

elwood

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:39 am

They put $1299 on the tag, but this is an old-school shop where negotiation is expected. I would probably end up paying around $1000. The same shop has a fairly recent S-500 in Gold Flake with a mirror pick guard, and an '85 or '86 Skyhawk in Natural swamp ash. I saw a recent lefty L-2K on the wall too. I guess my GAS is getting somewhat better. I was able to walk past all of those without any problem. I did pull the 'Hawk down to strum a few chords.

I can't remember what they had the 'Hawk listed for, but it could be a good deal for anybody wanting to try a Leo-era guitar. I think it was around $750.

Ken