Question about the Leo-era black powder coated bridges

Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:10 pm

Will a black powder coated hard tail bridge from an ASAT fit on an SC model guitar, or did G&L use completely different style bridges for the different model guitars?

Re: Question about the Leo-era black powder coated bridges

Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:25 pm

electrodyne wrote:Will a black powder coated hard tail bridge from an ASAT fit on an SC model guitar, or did G&L use completely different style bridges for the different model guitars?

It should fit exactly. Sounds like an interesting project.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Not necessarily that interesting.

I'd like to swap out an original tremolo bridge with an original old style hard tail bridge, and change the tuners too. Will post some before and after pics once I find the parts if anyone is interested.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:17 pm

electrodyne wrote:Not necessarily that interesting.

I'd like to swap out an original tremolo bridge with an original old style hard tail bridge, and change the tuners too. Will post some before and after pics once I find the parts if anyone is interested.

That could be interesting and especially so for those in the future that might consider the same. Pics would be great.

Are you going to fill the tremelo cav on the top and reroute for the saddlelock's little boot (the part that protrudes down from the base)?
elwood
Last edited by Elwood on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:53 pm

electrodyne wrote:Will a black powder coated hard tail bridge from an ASAT fit on an SC model guitar, or did G&L use completely different style bridges for the different model guitars?

Like Elwood said, all of the hardtail bridges are the same. There's no way to swap one for a Dual Fulcrum Vibrato without extensive and destructive mods, though. Even if it is done with great care, that swap will turn a valuable (and increasingly rare) SC-2 into $300 parts guitar. You would do much better to watch and wait for a hardtail to come up for sale.

The original tuners on '82-'83 SC models should be very stable. I've had no tuning or stability issues with any of mine.

Ken

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:54 pm

KenC wrote:

Like Elwood said, all of the hardtail bridges are the same. There's no way to swap one for a Dual Fulcrum Vibrato without extensive and destructive mods, though. Even if it is done with great care, that swap will turn a valuable (and increasingly rare) SC-2 into $300 parts guitar. You would do much better to watch and wait for a hardtail to come up for sale.

The original tuners on '82-'83 SC models should be very stable. I've had no tuning or stability issues with any of mine.

Ken

+1
Bill

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:09 pm

Many thanks for all for all of the tips and input about this!

This particular guitar has already been very seriously banged up and "taken under the knife" with a different pickup installed and some serious wood cut out of it. It's very much a player's player that's been played with & played out. Not a pristine collector's piece by any means. Not even close.

I'm in no immediate rush to further tinker with it. However, if I can get a hold of the powder coated parts for it within the year, I'd love to have the black powder coated bridge and matching tuners. I've never, ever been keen on using tremolo bars. Could never get the hang of using them and they simply make me dizzy. Furthermore, those old school black powder coated bridges are simply classy and sweet!

As a semi-related question, does anyone know why BBE discontinued manufacturing them? It seems like a classic case of "fixing" something that was never broken to begin with. It would be really great if they were made and offered again as a custom shop/heritage ode for current models.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Have you though about blocking the DFV? It would be easier and probably cheaper than converting to a Saddle Lock bridge. To install a Saddle Lock, you would at a minimum need to fill the post holes from the DFV, and then very precisely route a slot for the boss on the bottom of the Saddle Lock. I don't know if you will have enough wood under the bridge (due to the DFV's back route) to hold the mounting screws securely.

Ken

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:02 pm

I'm not familiar enough with the construction of the guitar or the two different styles of bridges to fully understand the work that may need to be done, or some of the points you are suggesting.

Perhaps I should think twice about this?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:25 pm

electrodyne wrote:I'm not familiar enough with the construction of the guitar or the two different styles of bridges to fully understand the work that may need to be done, or some of the points you are suggesting.

Perhaps I should think twice about this?

yah, probably ; for the amount of work it would take to get a saddlelock attached correctly (while devaluing your guitar),
you could get those previous mods filled and the guitar would be on it's way to a restoration.

look into a tremel-no ( to quote louis :) ) as an option . I've recently fell in love with what I can do with the DFV
on my Skyhawk . Very subtle Gilmourish embellishments and it'll handle more Hendrixian stuff too . It took my a bit of trial and error dialing it in (posts,claw screws,good strings). I plan to upload a vid showing the end result...I best get to thinking about that more .

I'd consider a Fallout as a hardtail option maybe?? or the way things are lately you might be able to find another Leo-era
hardtail for your harem at a nice price.

I know it's fun and rewarding to successfully mod an instrument to your liking, I'm glad your seeing what's entailed for this one though . Knowledge is power like the old saturday morning cartoons instilled in us :mrgreen:

How about a pic or two? I had a hashed SC-3 , I'll see if I can find some pics...it still was a magical guitar that you could tell had wood and construction techniques chosen by the masters of the bolt on.

elwood
Last edited by Elwood on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Check this out to get an idea what is under the hood:
http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... temId=5693

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:38 pm

good link eddie,

..and here's the DFV drawing ...

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... temId=5686

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:41 pm

So much great info for a newcomer, long-time admirer, not-quite-yet a G&L owner.

Thank you!