1983 L2000 neck

Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:11 pm

Hey there.. Long time G&L lover first time poster. I am looking into buying a 83 L2000E or so the seller seems to think it is a 83. I have been doing some research and from what G&L says when they changed the construction method of the necks, the stripe disappeared and the sculpted "bump" on the headstock was added. meaning all old style headstock necks should have a skunk stripe. However this 83 I am looking at has the old style headstock and no stripe. Is it possible G&L were using the newer construction method on some of the non-sculpted necks for a short time? It also has the black crinkle control plate and bridge as well as the chromed plastic style knobs with ribs. Still waiting on some more detailed photos and hopefully a serial number. It looks real nice but is missing the original case ;>( Just wanted to check in here before I drop a grand on it.. Thanks for any help..

Here are some pics..

Re: 1983 L2000 neck

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi Ariff,

A great resource, especially for Leo-era instruments, is the GGJaguar website by Greg Gagliano. He happens to show a '83 L-2000. The skunk stripe was already gone by that time since the transition you mentio happened in '82. However, it looks like the hook was introduced the same time. But note that the necks for the SB-1 and SB-2 basses did not have the hook 'til a way later date. Hence, it is entirely possible this is a transition neck.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:26 pm

yeah I have spent quite a bit of time at that site doing some research.. I could not find any L series basses with this kind of neck. But from what I have read G&L used all sorts of different parts during this time.. So who knows.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:14 am

Ariff wrote:yeah I have spent quite a bit of time at that site doing some research.. I could not find any L series basses with this kind of neck. But from what I have read G&L used all sorts of different parts during this time.. So who knows.

Perhaps Ken Baker or some of the others at The Official G&L Bass Support Forum at http://www.bassesbyleo.com can help.

:ugeek:

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:18 am

Cool thanks I have posted this over there as well..

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:23 pm

That's a transitional neck that was made for a short time (a few months in early 1983). It's bi-cut (no skunk stripe), but still has the old style headstock. Completely legit.

GG

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:04 pm

Cool thanks for the info!