Early 80s G&L L-2000 BLK/SILVER SIgned by Leo PRICE?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:15 pm

Hi. I acquired a guitar years ago that I am ready to part with. Its a guitar that I purchased from the original owner who did not play it that much and I didn't learn. So, its in excellent condition but I don't know what to sell it for. Any ideas? Let me know. Thanks. New to the forums.

[Note: Admin removed the link to the CL Ad because we do not allow Ad posts on the G&LDP.
Admin posted all photos shown in the CL Ad so that members can review this instrument and
post their observations of this instrument.]
[Note to OP: please read: guitarsbyleo.com History and G&LDP Guidelines]

Any help would be really appreciated.

As far as I know... everything is original.

Re: Early 80s G&L L-2000 BLK/SILVER SIgned by Leo PRICE?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:38 pm

around 700 would be my guess, but there are some people that are much more knowledgeable about these guitars. they'll chime in soon i am sure.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:09 pm

Judging from the case, which seems to be a 1992-1993 thermoplastic case, it looks like 3-bolt neck attachment, L-2000, which go for between $1,150 for a mint to $550 for one in good condition. It would be great if you can confirm the 3-bolt neck attachment and/or provide us with the S/N since unfortunately there are no pics of the back of the bass.

The 'by Leo Fender' on the headstock corroborates the circa '92 date. I don't know what to make of the signature on the upper bass bout though. If it was part of the signature series is would be a white decal for a black finish. I only know about the Broadcasters, which have Leo signed inspection stickers in the neck pocket, and two G&L's (see this post) that were signed by Leo. If it isn't a trace of Leo's signature, yours would be another one and substantially increase the value of the instrument. And although I can be proven wrong by providing more accurate provenance of the bass, I have a hard time believing that, the more since the type of thermoplastic case was only introduced about a year after Leo's passing.

Hope this helps,

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:57 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Judging from the case, which seems to be a 1992-1993 thermoplastic case, it looks like 3-bolt neck attachment, L-2000, which go for between $1,150 for a mint to $550 for one in good condition. It would be great if you can confirm the 3-bolt neck attachment and/or provide us with the S/N since unfortunately there are no pics of the back of the bass.

The 'by Leo Fender' on the headstock corroborates the circa '92 date. I don't know what to make of the signature on the upper bass bout though. If it was part of the signature series is would be a white decal for a black finish. I only know about the Broadcasters, which have Leo signed inspection stickers in the neck pocket, and [u]two[/url] G&L's (see this post) that were signed by Leo. If it isn't a trace of Leo's signature, yours would be another one and substantially increase the value of the instrument. And although I can be proven wrong by providing more accurate provenance of the bass, I have a hard time believing that, the more since the type of thermoplastic case was only introduced about a year [i]after[/i[ Leo's passing.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

To continue with Jos' observation:

The Signature Series models DID come with gold signature decals on many of the Black bodies.
For example, this 1991 ASAT Classic Signature found in the Gallery:

See this post regarding the Leo Signature Series decal.

The L-2000 Signature Series model was produced in 1991 (with some possible ones coming out the back door of the factory in 1992).
See this one in the Gallery and make sure to read the description fully:Album: Anonymous 1992 L-2000.

I believe you have either a 1991 L-2000 Signature Series model or an employee built in 1992 or later (out the back door, because the Signature Series
was officially discontinued in 1991. The 1992 era case and the headstock "by Leo Fender" decal makes me lean toward the "out the back door employee built" instrument.

I would like to know the serial number, which should be stamped on the three-bolt neckplate, which will begin with "G0". If not there, check the back of the headstock,
which will begin with "CL" or "CLF".

Just my own observations and opinion.

:ugeek:
Last edited by Craig on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link to Leo Signature Series decal.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:50 am

Craig wrote:
I would like to know the serial number, which should be stamped on the three-bolt neckplate, which will begin with "G0".

...or "B0".

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:08 am

Craig wrote:To continue with Jos' observation:

The Signature Series models DID come with gold signature decals on many of the Black bodies.

Yeah, I should have known that. After all, my own Black ASAT III Signature SSH with cold hardware has one :oops: But is shows the Signature way clearer:

- Jos

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Elwood wrote:
Craig wrote:
I would like to know the serial number, which should be stamped on the three-bolt neckplate, which will begin with "G0".

...or "B0".

Oops, Elwood is right, if it's a three bolt neck, the serial number for this bass will begin with "B0" not "G0". :oops: