NGD!

Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Let's make this a quiz for the folks who are new to G&L guitars: What is this guitar? There is only one model that combines features shown in this photo. What are the features?

Remember, new G&L fans only! More pics to follow the first correct answer!

Actually the NGD was Tuesday, but I've been too busy playing this baby to set up for good pictures. The ones I'll post tonight were taken by the previous owner...

Ken

Re: NGD!

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:11 pm

I know sir!!! And I want one badly!

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:14 pm

I wasn't planning on buying anything until the LE-2 comes out, but this one popped up in the Marketplace and I couldn't resist. Hopefully the LE-2 will be delayed until I recover...

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:18 pm

Yeah. If you ever get bored with it let me know - is this your second one of this model, Ken?

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:27 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:Yeah. If you ever get bored with it let me know - is this your second one of this model, Ken?

I don't foresee boredom, but I will keep you in mind. This is my second, and it is just as sweet as the first. The interplay between the volume and tone controls is amazing...unlike any other model or make I've played.

I was surprised at the number of NGD posts tonight. All the new guys must be bonding with their shiny new ASATs and Legacies!

Ken

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:09 pm

KenC wrote:
blargfromouterspace wrote:Yeah. If you ever get bored with it let me know - is this your second one of this model, Ken?

I don't foresee boredom, but I will keep you in mind. This is my second, and it is just as sweet as the first. The interplay between the volume and tone controls is amazing...unlike any other model or make I've played.

I was surprised at the number of NGD posts tonight. All the new guys must be bonding with their shiny new ASATs and Legacies!

Ken

Thanks Ken - unfortunately for me, I don't expect you to tire of it either :) I never seem to have the money for them when they eventually do come up for sale. There was a beeeeauitful blonde one for sale in the marketplace a couple of months ago that I wish I'd bought. One things certain - they are increasing in value significantly.

The mutliple NGD posts from new members is a great thing, and I'm surprised by the amount of new members who have taken to regular posting - good on you fellas :thumbup: Could this mean that the popularity of G&L is on the rise??? They're certainly more visible in the marketplace now that high profile online stores like Proguitarshop.com and Prymaxevintage.com are carrying them.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:35 pm

Well, I have no idea... :think: no neck pup ? Too bad, I mainly play with it... :lol:

Yeah a lot of NGD and some real nice ones... Can't stop playing, not only the new one but the other as well... My fingers hurt !!!! It's been a long time ! :mrgreen:

Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:10 am

SCweeeet !

I'm looking forward to the unveiling.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:33 am

after a little research, i bet on a SC-1... :think:

Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:35 am

Elwood wrote:SCweeeet !

I'm looking forward to the unveiling.

arf... didn't pay attention... Image

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:01 am

Nice Ken! Congrats :happy0065:

- Jos

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:11 am

meursault wrote:after a little research, i bet on a SC-1... :think:

Yep, it's an SC-1. The giveaways in the photo are lack of a neck pickup combined with large position markers. The next single pickup G&L guitar (the Rampage) didn't come along until after the fingerboard markers got smaller. Some of the later SC-1s did have the small markers, which started showing up about the time the SC series was introduced in late 1982.

Here are a couple of pics taken by the previous owner:

This SC-1 has build dates from September and October 1982. It's not the earliest one in the Registry, but it was right at the beginning of the production run. A previous owner's Registry entry had listed the date of manufacture as October 18 1982.

This is my second SC-1, and it has confirmed all of my opinions about this model. The maple body is super lightweight - I'm guessing around six pounds - and unbelievably resonant. The action and intonation are fantastic after thirty years. The best part, IMO, is the control circuit. Rolling the volume and tone knobs in opposite directions keeps the overall volume pretty consistent, but takes the sound from jangle through sparkle to a very round warmth. It doesn't get muddy with the tone turned down, either - there's still plenty of clarity and detail.

Time to play some more now. I'll try to get some outdoor shots later today and post them this evening.

Ken

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:00 am

Nice SC-1! Here's my well played red SC-1:

SC-1's are a lot of fun!

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Sprinter 92 wrote:Nice SC-1! Here's my well played red SC-1:

Nice! Somehow mine has almost no wear on the body, but a bit on the edges of the fingerboard.

Ken

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:17 pm

That one is nice Ken!-- Darwin

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:26 pm

that's a weird, simple and pure thing... :rolleyes:

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:00 pm

You're killing me Ken! WWWWWWWAAAAAAAANNNNNNTTTTT!

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:18 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:You're killing me Ken! WWWWWWWAAAAAAAANNNNNNTTTTT!

Sorry about that...

When you band does a US tour, leave your guitars at home and I'll loan you the SC-1. I'll even throw in an '86 ASAT for backup!

Ken

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:29 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:You're killing me Ken! WWWWWWWAAAAAAAANNNNNNTTTTT!

+1!

Ken,

I am glad you ended up with that beauty! I will say when i saw it come up in marketplace the wheels did start to turn a little... Now i totally regret not making a move! Enjoy it, it looks like a lot of fun.

Scott

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:33 pm

KenC wrote:When you band does a US tour.....

....pigs will fly out of my ass. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the kind offer, I'll take you up on it if I ever get over there :thumbup:

Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:50 am

nice. i am actually looking at an sc-3, although the more stratesque body style.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:09 am

louis cyfer wrote:nice. i am actually looking at an sc-3, although the more stratesque body style.

That one model I haven't played yet. I understand they are nice. What year was the one you're looking at made?

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:02 pm

KenC wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:nice. i am actually looking at an sc-3, although the more stratesque body style.

That one model I haven't played yet. I understand they are nice. What year was the one you're looking at made?

SC-3 are great. And I would certainly be interested in your opinion louis if you are able to get one, or at least play one. Because they are not your 'standard' Strat kind of guitars IMO but have their own character entirely.

- Jos