'82 SC-3 Value

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:09 pm

I found a red SC-3 in a music shop going for $1200. It was my first time playing a G&L guitar, as I was unfamiliar with them, and was looking to buy a Strat. After trying out strat after strat, none could compare with the playability of this SC-3. It was almost like the guitar played itself, and the tone blew me away. I had to have it!
I went home and did some research online on the guitar, and found that they were generally going for $700 - $800. The shop owner refuses to go down on the price of the guitar, and after asking some of my buddies around town, they said that guitar has been there since the 80's!
My delima is that I love this guitar. I've never played so well, but man! $1200? Really? :BangBang:
I guess what I'm asking is if I'd be crazy to pay that, because I sure am crazy about this guitar?
Thanks in advance for any advice anybody can give me.
Oh, forgive me for being rude! I'm new and glad to be here! :greet:

tx

Re: '82 SC-3 Value

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi - Welcome!

My 0.02 -

I think a lot of folks get too hung up on what's something is 'worth' and what others think.... who cares?? If you love it - buy it. Easy - Peasy. No regrets that way + you'll most likely recoup your initial investment in the long run...

Cheers,
KF

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:50 pm

after asking some of my buddies around town, they said that guitar has been there since the 80's!

So this guitar has never been sold since it was new? It is an original '80s NOS SC-3?

Maybe that's why the owner thinks the value is so high.

That price would not be out of line for a brand new current production G&L, and the closest you could get to that would be an S-500.

Is it the original "Mustang" body shape (http://www.ggjaguar.com/sc-3-83.htm) or is it the 2nd generation SC-3 with more of a "Strat" shape (http://www.ggjaguar.com/sc-3-87.htm)?

Either way, the guitar is somewhat of a rarity.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:06 pm

suave eddie wrote:
after asking some of my buddies around town, they said that guitar has been there since the 80's!

So this guitar has never been sold since it was new? It is an original '80s NOS SC-3?

Maybe that's why the owner thinks the value is so high.

That price would not be out of line for a brand new current production G&L, and the closest you could get to that would be an S-500.

Is it the original "Mustang" body shape (http://www.ggjaguar.com/sc-3-83.htm) or is it the 2nd generation SC-3 with more of a "Strat" shape (http://www.ggjaguar.com/sc-3-87.htm)?

Either way, the guitar is somewhat of a rarity.

I'm pretty sure it is a used guitar. It has a tiny bit of wear on it, course that could be from people trying it out for the last 30 years.
As for the body shape, I'm not sure. I won't know until I go back to his shop. He say's it's an '82, but it has a roller nut, and from what I read in the link you sent, only the 87's and above had those. It may be aftermarket, though. Next time I get to the shop I'll definitely find out.
Does it make a difference in price between the 1st and 2nd generation?
Thanks for the reply.

Tx

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:07 pm

Katefan wrote:Hi - Welcome!

My 0.02 -

I think a lot of folks get too hung up on what's something is 'worth' and what others think.... who cares?? If you love it - buy it. Easy - Peasy. No regrets that way + you'll most likely recoup your initial investment in the long run...

Cheers,
KF

I told my wife exactly the same thing, but she doesn't want me to get ripped off, so I'm doing my due diligence first.
Thanks for the reply!

Tx

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Why not take your cell phone camera and put the pics up here tomorrow. There is so many brainiacs here that know old G+L's... you would get the straight goods. The guys are here to help each of us. Don't get ripped up by some pawnshop. If the boys give you the green light you'll feel much better. I'd get 10-$100's and plunk it in front of him...but only if the group gave me the go ahead. At 1200 I doubt it's going anywhere soon. My2cents

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:24 am

I hear you - yes, the roller nut makes it sound like its a later model (circa 87-88) and those are much more common than the very early ones.... Check out ggjaguar's site on the Links section - it'll give you a good run down on the different models and evolution.... doesn't go into prices but a wealth of good info there.... Green Swirl has good advice tho I"d say a lot of folks here would say hold off. As he points out, it's doubtful its going sell anytime soon so you have that on your side. Even tho it may be a later model, it is still an Leo-era model made when Leo was alive and calling the shots so longterm it will increase in value.

If you can - check out some other SC-3's in person you may want to see if they float your boat the same way.... Pickups, hardare, general appointments will be the same... where you will find the most difference will be in weight and the neck profile.... most of these run are on the lighter side as many were poplar bodies.... The neck profile's tend to follow a certain profile but can vary quite a bit.... no 2 are exactly alike. As a whole they are great guitars but just like many vintage guitars , some are decent and some are exceptional... All I'm saying is if it speaks to you that strongly that is something to seriously consider...
Good Luck,
KF

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:57 am

Well, I broke down and bought the guitar for $1,000. The store owner said his employees put the wrong date on the tag, and that it's an early '86.
I really like the slim neck on this thing. Very excited to have it, and can't wait to jam with it.
The serial # is G020209.
I guess I need to join the group of G&L owners now? :D

Here are pics of it:

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo17 ... ack-1.jpeg

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo17 ... front.jpeg

Thanks for all your help!

Tx

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:59 am

You might want to check this reference book:

Zachary Fjestads' Blue Book of Electric Guitars 13th edition.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Congrats !
Those are some of the best pickups I've played ,
punchy, not overly bright , with alot of vintage vibe (whatever that is ...lol)

I can see why it had to be in your hands,
fun fun fun !!

elwood

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:19 pm

Yeah, Congrats! Glad it was a happy ending! Wow - looks brand new... +1 on the pickups. Ones with the roller nuts seem to be more lively and resonant too....and while mid 80's SC-3's are fairly common, ones with roller nuts are harder to come by.

Cheers,
KF

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:59 pm

Craig wrote:You might want to check this reference book:

Zachary Fjestads' Blue Book of Electric Guitars 13th edition.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Craig. That's good to have for any guitar.

Tx.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:20 pm

What a great looking SC-3. Congrats :happy0065: Keep us updated on your impressions of this guitar. And it would be great if you could add your Leo-era tone monster to the Registry (you'll need a separate login though).

- Jos

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:19 pm

way to go txsrangers.....nice snag....10x$100 did it! She's a Bute Montan.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:56 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:What a great looking SC-3. Congrats :happy0065: Keep us updated on your impressions of this guitar. And it would be great if you could add your Leo-era tone monster to the Registry (you'll need a separate login though).

- Jos

I guess my SC-3 isn't that rare. I looked at the registry, but there's no category for a '87. :cry:

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:14 am

No, it is like Katefan wrote above. The 'Rarebird' SC-3s have a Mustang shaped body like this:
But that doesn't make yours less of a Leo-era SC-3. And in all, G&L only produced ~27,000 guitars and ~23,000 basses in the 10 years before Leo passed away. That is less than Fender built in the '50s.

- Jos

Edit: explicitly state the 27,000 number is for guitars only; add the estimate for the number of basses produced
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:09 am

txsrangers wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:What a great looking SC-3. Congrats :happy0065: Keep us updated on your impressions of this guitar. And it would be great if you could add your Leo-era tone monster to the Registry (you'll need a separate login though).

- Jos

I guess my SC-3 isn't that rare. I looked at the registry, but there's no category for a '87. :cry:

Use the SC-3 model name in the Registry. That covers the 1982-1987 built models (Mustang-style and Strat-style bodies without pickguard).
The SC-3 Series II is for the 1988-1991 built model (Strat-style with pickguard).

Hope this helps.