Less bright pickup for HG-2

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:51 am

I'm looking to hopefully find something that will just drop in without routing or other mods. The stock humbuckers are a little too bright for my ears. I'm thinking P-90 or mini-humbuckers. Any Ideas?

Re: Less bright pickup for HG-2

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:08 pm

I'd sell that guitar and buy something else. Those are very collectible...

Cheers,

Will

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi haze51

:!: :!: Don't do it :!: :!:

Or at least know what you're doing. You have a rather valuable guitar there because there aren't too many HG-2's around. Of course you could keep the pups such that it can be restored to its original condition whenever you'd like to sell it. AFAIK, the footprint of the pup matches the large 'P-90 like' MFD pickuo as found on the ASAT Special, but in effect you'd convert your HG-2 to an Leo-era SC-2 with 2nd body shape.

Otherwise, do what Will says. I know at least one potential taker ...

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks for the quick responses! It's not really stock, since I bought it new in '85 with a Kahler locking nut trem system on it. Don't know how much that would detract from the value. It's a great guitar and I doubt if I'd sell it. I'm a club player and it's got lots of miles on it. I knew it was kinda collectible. I would definitely keep the original pups anyway.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:54 pm

That Kahler must have been factory equipped and as such you have an even more unique specimen. How that translates to value is a bit subjective of course. Would you care to register your HG-2 in the [url]http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/AUTOREG/autoreg2.php3]Registry[/url] if you haven't done so already? You would need a separate login though. If that is too much for you, please PM with S/N, color, and any other identifying features. Your HG-2 is interesting enough to have it in there.

- Jos

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Actually I was going to register it but I can't find the serial number on it. I assume it was on a sticker that came off or it's somewhere under the neck or something. I'm playing it at a gig tonight so I don't want to take it apart. It's a cool blue one.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:39 pm

There are HG-2s out there with the S/N still stamped into the Saddle-Lock bridge, otherwise it should be stamped on the neck plate between. You have a non-G&L bridge, and not having a Kahler equipped G&L myself, I would not be able to tell you where to look, if it is not on the neck plate. Just make sure the plate is not mounted upside down (yup, I've seen that happen).

- Jos

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:20 pm

just change the value of the volume pot. to a lower value, like if it's a 500k, put in a 250 k. it will do exactly what you want, keep the original pot so you can restore it, and that should do it.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:17 pm

I don't intend to sound flippant but what about just slightly backing off the tone controls??? A lot of folks don't this trick but it works Fab. Just barely turn it CCW to just roll off the high-end harshness.
Masters of the Telecasters and Studio Aces used this trick all the time back in the day...
Cheers,
KF

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Haze,

Is the body shaped like an SC-2 or a Strat?

Ken

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:08 am

I believe it's the SC-2 shape. It's like all the other HG-2's. I'll post a photo tomorrow. Just to got back from a road gig in this wonderful Minnesota winter we're experiencing. Starting to be intrigued about selling or trading. A Les Paul would be interesting ...

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:24 am

There were two different body styles used for the HG-2 (the same went for the SC-2). The early ones had the shape that's currently being used for the SC-2 and Fallout models. In 1984 both the SC-2 and HG-2 went to a Strat-type body that was very similar to the S-500, Skyhawk/Nighthawk, and Superhawk.

I wish I had a Les Paul to trade!

Ken

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:36 am

My HG-2 is also bright. Extremely bright is a better description. I opened up the control cavity and the guitar already has 250k volume and tone pots. Rolling back the tone knob results in a muddy sounding bright tone. The HG-2 may be the brightest sounding guitar ever made! I think this is why there are so few of them.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:42 am

I took a few photos, don't see anywhere on the reply to post them. I'll look around to see where to post photos. BTW, does anyone know of any pickups, per my original question? I'd still like to consider replacing the pups.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:35 pm

haze53 wrote:I took a few photos, don't see anywhere on the reply to post them. I'll look around to see where to post photos. BTW, does anyone know of any pickups, per my original question? I'd still like to consider replacing the pups.

See Tutorial: Posting photos.

G&L Magnetic Field Design soapbar style single coils will drop in. See List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:52 am

Here is an old post regarding taming the brightness of Cavalier pus (same as used in the HG) Hope this helps.

: By the way what cap size did you settle on for a standard ASAT special MFD when mating it to an angled offset MFD humbucker? I need a ballpark range so I can tame the single coil a bit when I drop that Cavalier 'bucker into my Special.

Depends on the guitar. Are you going to run a PTB or just a single volume/tone? Will the volume/tone controls be wired series or parallel? This matters a bunch as it drastically alters the load on the pickups depending on which you elect to run.
Depending on what controls you plan on running and how you will wire them depends on what capacitance to add for each pickup.

The stock Cavalier has a significant load on the pickups due to not only the PTB but also a 2,200pf cap bleeding highs to ground for both pickups. Even with this load the Cav is still quite brilliant.

I prefer to play games with each pickup meaning different capacitances will be used for each pickup. You basically solder the cap from the + lead to ground. For the bridge pickup...start with 500pf and work your way up...4,000pf would be the most I'd consider but on an ash bodied guitar...you never know...ash bodies seem to be treble happy. Once you get the bridge pickup voiced how you like it...turn your attention to the neck pickup. You can lower the neck pickup to lower the output and retain a nice balance but there likely will not be enough adjustment range to get the output of the neck knocked down to where it doesn't overpower the bridge pickup. Just add capacitance until you get them where you like them.

I bread-board the circuit in one of my plank guitars and use alligator clips...makes the process go much faster and neater than soldering/de-soldering constantly. Remember, unlike resistors...for capacitors...you need to connect them in parallel in order to increase the capacitance.

Anyway, as I said before...each guitar is different (just like people) so you need to perform some trial and error experimentation to find the optimal combination. It really isn't very hard...just time consuming.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:35 am

Interesting but sounds like a PITA to me. I'm thinking mini-humbuckers if I can find a pair that fits. I play in a variety band and I want this to be my "rock" axe. Played it Saturday night, and love the guitar but not the pickups.