1981 F-100 tuner replacement

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:46 pm

Just bought a used 1981 F-100 series II, has seen a lot of playing but everything is in pretty good shape except for the machine heads; the "D" tuner is missing half of the shaft and the "B" tuner gearing is very loose, making tuning difficult. The machineheads look like Schallers but I am guessing based on age not a style that is currently available. I 'm thinking it would just be easier to replace all the tuners with something new that would not require drilling additional holes in the headstock. Anyone have any ideas for what would work as replacements>

Re: 1981 F-100 tuner replacement

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:19 pm

Shadowjack,

Welcome to G&LDP, and congrats on the F-100! They aren't the most common G&L model, but they can be very sweet guitars. Please enter your F-100 in the G&L Registry (see tabs at the top of the page) if it's not in there already. Also, we really like seeing photos of G&Ls around here (hint hint)...

The tuners are the weak point on that model (along with the fact that the original switches may not have been intended to last for thirty years!). They should be Schallers. I haven't replaced tuners on either of my F-100s, but I have done some research on replacement tuners for a couple of project Duo Sonics with similar drilling. I think you should be able to find direct replacements for the F-100 tuners. If I recall, Schaller is still making them for the vintage guitar market.

Ken

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:26 pm

My '80 F100 had the tuners replaced when I bought it. There are locking Sperzels on it, don't know the details but it might point you in the right direction.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:46 am

Thanks for the input. I'll check both for the Schallers and the locking Sperzels. I will post some photos as soon as I get a chance.