Finish on Broadcaster has clouded up.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:59 am

I have the BC00020 Broadcaster that has been in it's case for years. I just took it out to clean it up to sell it and the finish has clouded up. I tried some Virtuoso cleaner but it did not do much. Liquid Gold worked a little bettor but it still is not what it should be. Any body have some idea's ? Thanks.

Re: Finish on Broadcaster has clouded up.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Moonblister,
Was there any moisture present when you opened the case or has there been since it was stored away? I can't tell without seeing it what you are looking at but I would venture to guess the finish has blushed because of moisture. If so, there is a product that might remove it without ruining the finish. This product is called Blush Out and is sold by Mohawk. There are other versions also but I have had good success with this product. Hope this helps,
Fred

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:12 pm

When I put that guitar away 15 years ago I was a chain smoker. I quit smoking seven years ago. I have the suspicion that it may have to do with cigarette smoke. I am gonna try the Virtuoso cleaner and polish again tomorrow. But if anybody else has an idea, chime in. I really don't see how it could be moisture it has been inside an air conditioned house since my last gig 16 years or so ago. Thanks Fred I may try that yet.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Moonblister, I would take caution especially if you are going to sell it. The buyer may want to solve this issue or even keep it as is. I would be risky to do anything unless you are sure of the results.-- Darwin

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:43 am

Moonblister,
Darwin is right about experimenting with this guitar because a lot of its' value is based on original parts, case candy and finish. If the finish is more on the dinghy brown side than cloudy, there is a good chance that the nicotine was the problem. It sounds like you might need to take some rubbing compound to it. This can be done by hand if you don't have a buffer and if you don't feel comfortable doing it by machine. Make sure you use a mild compound similar to what you would use on a show car and not one that would be used on hard materials like metal. Remember this is nitro finish and heat will melt it. what ever you do, do not use solvents like lacquer thinner or acetone or you will have a rag full of finish before you know it. A good guitar tech can handle the job if you feel you might do irreversible damage to it. Please remember that there were only 869 of these made and all but three that I know of were Black.
Fred

Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:11 am

I used the cleaner again and then polished it again. It looks much bettor. I think half the problem is that's it's black ! I had a black truck once that I could never get clean. With the black finish it shows swirls if looked at in certain angles but in other views it looks great. Never buy black guitars or cars. :mad0025:
By the way, anybody want to buy it ? I have a Super Champ Deluxe for sale too, it's listed in the Marketplace section.