Anybody else watch this auction with interest?

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:25 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290797404305?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

- ed

Re: Anybody else watch this auction with interest?

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:16 pm

i don't get the value of a 30 year old new instrument. it would have gotten better with age if it were actually played. i would not be interested at all.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:52 am

My SC-2 was pretty close to NOS, but that did not factor into my decision to buy it. I appreciate the minty freshness, but going thirty years without a setup definitely showed in the playability. I believe it's the only one I've needed to use the micro-tilt on. The setup took several hours to dial in. Contrast that with my SC-1, which played like butter right out of the case...

Ken

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:00 am

For that money, I would definitely buy a brand new SC-2, in my preferred color, maple fretboard, a #1 neck and with minor options, like locking tuners, transparent finish on swamp ash, graph tech nut and maybe a quarter sawn neck or the 2nd generation DF-vibrato.

The old SC-2's only advantage is the maple body, if that is one.
I don't like the control plate of the old ones that much, especially the output jack on the front side looks somehow cheap. ;)

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:09 pm

Interesting to note that the OHSC was not included. Am I correct in that their were fewer of these made with the fixed bridge? Anybody have a breakdown by bridge type on the first run SC-2s? - ed

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:37 pm

I lucked out when I found my white '86 Rampage. The seller claimed it was barely played and had been left in the case under the bed for the last 25 years. I didn't really believe him. When I got the guitar I was blown away. It was like opening a vault. The thing was as close to NOS as you can get. Not a scratch anywhere. No signs it had ever been played. The Kahler was still tight and the knob and tuners were still brand new. The oiled neck was still clean and brand new. The factory setup was still perfect! (still is) I got it for $800, and I beleve if it had hit Ebay it would have gone for $1200 easy.

So in my opinion, it was like buying a new guitar. While I love the new Rampages, there are things that are unique to the originals. Like the 3 bolt micro tilt, the oiled neck, and the 25" radius. I have enjoyed breaking in a "brand new" 25 year old guitar!

The day I got it

Thanks,
Dave

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:36 pm

I actually bid on that guitar (for a lot less than it went for), just because it seemed like such a rarity in that condition. Regarding old v. new, the older SC-2's had different body wood, fretboard radius, neck carve, electronics, and I would say pickups given various factors like age and technology. Seems like a different guitar than the new ones, and the older ones just have a little more mojo going on. I would not hesitate to buy a new SC-2, but the older ones are special and whoever got that SC-2 for $1,200 is going to be happy they bought it.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:12 pm

We are fast approaching the time when vintage SC-2s will go for $1200 regardless of condition, but we're not quite there yet. I can see how this one would be worth it to the right buyer.