Band of Susans .... again ....

Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:48 pm

Hi gang,

I was just browsing around looking at what's out there on SC-1s outside of this forum and of course Robert Poss of the Band of Susans came up. The Australian guitarnerd website posted an article written by Robert on how it came to be that he is using the SC-1 as his 'signature' model and how he became interested ibn modifying them with pick guards, etc. What caught my attention is the 'The Pursuit of Happiness' vid included at the bottom of the article:
[youtube]buNuMAok4L4[/youtube]
If you are not interested in the tune, you at least owe it to yourself to fast forward to the 3:02 mark. I won't tell you what you'll see, but if you are interested in G&L history, you'l love it. I cannot recall this having been posted before but even if that were to be the case who the heck cares. After all, to quote ed, it's Saturday night ...

- Jos

Re: Band of Susans .... again ....

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:53 pm

Way cool to see those factory shots again....the guy doing a trampoline routine on the neck is awesome !
...and I love that fret slot cutting jig, I think of that many times over a day as I'm working on a G&L fretboard
(or playing on one ).
I'd like to know the story behind the dot size decisions. I'm guessing they used the same ones fo the basses and the guitars and then decided to scale down the markers for the guitars around '84. The big dots give a bold look to the neck IMO...love to see them again on a new G&L line.

thanks Jos, I'll have to look up the original vid now.
Elwood

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Thanks for posting this Jos!

I'm really surprised by the number of ASAT III bodies from about 3:09-3:12. I wonder if they cut a bunch of bodies at one time, and then let them trickle out of the factory.

Is it my imagination, or does the body that's upside-down on top of the rack at 3:09 look like it's routed for three humbuckers or large MFDs?

Ken

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:34 pm

Jos, what the heck, it's Sunday and I downloaded this. A cool video on the factory and that was one tough neck. I was not able to discern which tone was coming from where, but I am out of date! The scenery looked almost like Devils Tower in eastern Montana. The Oz must be scenic!-- Darwin