Superhawk & TV Jones

Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Hey guys, I will be getting an 84 superhawk in the mail next week and I'm thinking about putting in a set of TV Jones powertons or pt and a pt+. Any suggestions. It's got an alder body, kahler, stock schallers, etc... Any one w/ experience putting TVs in strats would be a welcome source of info.

Re: Superhawk & TV Jones

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:54 pm

im not familiar with tv jones pups but i am quite familiar with superhawks and i can tell you they have very odd humbucker routes. i have found a few humbucker sized pickups that simply will not fit without modification ( evans, bareknuckle mississippi queens, gfs mean 90's) so be prepared to have to mod or simply go another direction.

-JT

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:27 pm

Do you know that you won't like the Schallers? They pair really well with the old maple bodies...

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:49 pm

JT- could you recommend a good set of PUPs for this guitar.

Ken- I know that I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but im just trying to get ready. also its an alder body so we'll just play it by ear.

Thanks guys

Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:10 pm

i agree with ken the schallers are cool but its amazing how few of the 80's G&L superstrats dont have the original bridge pickup. MANY people like a JB mixed with the stock neck pickup. for sure give the stock pickups a shot

i only brought up the odd route because it looks like the tv jones chrome cover might be a tad to thick for the route , but if you go with the TVs lemme know how that works!

the only aftermarket pickups ive kept in a hawk are the evans pickups ( after slight modification ) which are impossible to find .the one im building ( mahogany body )will have humbucker sized p-90's but none ive tried fit the standard routes except fralin p-92s

-JT

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:36 am

Jalennon69700 wrote:also its an alder body so we'll just play it by ear.

Are you sure about the alder body? IMO, that would be extremely unusual for an '84 G&L. Swamp ash was common (especially for transparent finishes), there was still some mahogany making it out the door now and then, and maple bodies were all over the place. I don't believe alder started showing up until several years later.

Ken

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:05 pm

TJ- do you know the standard dimensions for the humbucker cavities for a Superhawk? Thanks

Ken- You could very well be right, i asked the guy who sold it to me and he had the owner pop off the neck, and he said it was alder. He told me the owner was a luthier so i just took him at his word. (I tend to be a little to trusting once i have some momentum.) either way I'm sure I'll be pleased. Thanks for your comment.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:44 pm

Jalennon69700 wrote:TJ- do you know the standard dimensions for the humbucker cavities for a Superhawk? Thanks

If JT doesn't answer in a couple of days, please remind me. My '86 Superhawk came to me wearing a set of Carvin humbuckers that were a perfect fit, with the Schallers in the case. Of course the Schallers went right back in when I got it, but I do still have the Carvins and can take a measurement.

I would do it now, but I've been nursing a sore back since yesterday morning and don't want to have to wrestle the Superhawk case out from behind some of the others.

Ken

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:58 pm

sorry im on the road for a couple weeks and my hawks arent with me. i havent had a problem with standard humbuckers only the bucker sized P=90's the chrome covers have a very slight flair at the bottom that is just a tad too much . and of course the evans which oddly fit in my rampage but not the hawk with the same routes.

id love to help you man wish there was a nearby dealer that carried tv jones to try .

-JT