NGD - Broadcaster

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Rescued this from the grips of a Guitar Center outside Dallas. Has an unusual (for this guitar) black crinkle pick guard that appears to be original. In great overall condition. Haven't worked or slept much since it arrived yesterday.

Re: NGD - Broadcaster

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Stunningly beautiful! One day, (one like) it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine!

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:06 pm

Beautiful! Congrats on that snag! A deal like that won't come around again.

What was the date on the neck? I'm curious how close it will be to my '86 ASAT, which also has a crinkle guard that seems original.

Ken

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:20 pm

Thanks guys! She is a beauty. Neck date is January 28, 1986 with the body date of February 13, 1986. Very difficult to photograph it, but there is some worming on the back (nothing through the finish) and a couple of small dings on the front edge. Other than that, just some very minor wear - about as clean as they get.
Last edited by desertrat07 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Desert Rat, that is a great find. these are not easy to find, especially in this condition!-- Darwin

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:23 pm

darwinohm wrote:Desert Rat, that is a great find. these are not easy to find, especially in this condition!-- Darwin

Thanks Darwin! I really dig your new pine ASAT too! By the way, Broadcasters are around. You just need to know where to look. Take this one for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221109529179?pt=Guitar&hash=item337b27aa5b

Says the seller (with zero feedback): "Vintage collectable guitar, only 250 of these G&L Braodcasters have ever been made! Those who are aware of the value of this fine instrument; will already know its worth. Those who do not, will be able to find that information releveant with a search engine searching for g and l broadcaster (differences) and (relevancies). The auction begins with 5.000.00 and will proceed until a waiting period of a day for another submission of interest and cash offer. If after a day I dont have an exceeding offer then the highest bid will be excepted. Serial number:bc00779. pat. num. refer to pictures." :happy0007:

And check out the poor D string!!!

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:38 pm

Wow!!! Beautiful catch! Congrats

Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:15 pm

Nice :happy0065: And enjoy! It's like having a child: life will never be the same after your first Broadcaster ... :think: :problem:

- Jos

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:09 am

desertrat07 wrote:
darwinohm wrote:Desert Rat, that is a great find. these are not easy to find, especially in this condition!-- Darwin

Thanks Darwin! I really dig your new pine ASAT too! By the way, Broadcasters are around. You just need to know where to look. Take this one for example:

Says the seller (with zero feedback): "Vintage collectable guitar, only 250 of these G&L Braodcasters have ever been made! Those who are aware of the value of this fine instrument; will already know its worth. Those who do not, will be able to find that information releveant with a search engine searching for g and l broadcaster (differences) and (relevancies). The auction begins with 5.000.00 and will proceed until a waiting period of a day for another submission of interest and cash offer. If after a day I dont have an exceeding offer then the highest bid will be excepted. Serial number:bc00779. pat. num. refer to pictures." :happy0007:

must be a joke.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:39 am

desertrat07 wrote:

Ouch !! Image

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:30 am

Really diggin that G&L, nice find indeed!!

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Wow. That's really tidy, great buy!

Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:01 pm

desertrat07 wrote:

Oh damn. If I only would have bought it at $5k, I could have saved me a boatload of money :happy0007: At the time of writing, this person is asking a whopping $9,500 for it!! Holy crap, if only (s)he would know what he was talking about ... Does (s)he think this is a early '50's Broadcaster or something? What a joke :thumbdown:

That in sharp contrast to this auction.

- Jos

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:18 pm

Bastid!!!!!

- ed

Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Bastid!!!!!

- ed

Just to make sure ed, I did not buy either Broadcaster. I would be a fool, or an idiot for that matter (hence not a bastid), to dole out almost $10k for the one. But I would be a bastid if I wouldn't allow somebody else to get that pristine maple board Broadcaster in the other auction. I have mine already!

- Jos

Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:21 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
desertrat07 wrote:

Oh damn. If I only would have bought it at $5k, I could have saved me a boatload of money :happy0007: At the time of writing, this person is asking a whopping $9,500 for it!! Holy crap, if only (s)he would know what he was talking about ... Does (s)he think this is a early '50's Broadcaster or something? What a joke :thumbdown:

That in sharp contrast to this auction.

- Jos

the one in the second auction is perfect. but i would not like it like that. even the one the op got is too nice for my taste. i want a player, a guitar that old needs to have mojo, and wear. these ones simply weren't played enough.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:57 am

louis cyfer wrote:the one in the second auction is perfect. but i would not like it like that. even the one the op got is too nice for my taste. i want a player, a guitar that old needs to have mojo, and wear. these ones simply weren't played enough.

But you could fix that louis ;)

- Jos

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:But I would be a bastid if I wouldn't allow somebody else to get that pristine maple board Broadcaster in the other auction. I have mine already!

I am actually trying to figure out what I can sell to buy that one too, even though it's a lot more expensive than the one I just got! I don't know whether all Broadcasters are created equally, but this one just nails the sound I've had in my head for a while now. It brings out new sounds in the amp I've had for years, and the setup, playability and touch sensitivity are amazing. I can honestly say that in the 5 days I've owned it, this Broadcaster has made me a better guitar player (not that that's too difficult given my limited ability to start with).

louis cyfer wrote:the one in the second auction is perfect. but i would not like it like that. even the one the op got is too nice for my taste. i want a player, a guitar that old needs to have mojo, and wear. these ones simply weren't played enough.

Don't worry, this one won't be too nice for long. No way I'm leaving it hanging on the wall.