Another birthday - '83 SB-2

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:56 pm

This one came together with the Lynx I posted photos of the other day. It was just so happened that the neck dates were three years and three days apart.

The specs on this beauty are:

- Maple body, neck and board, with wide flame throughout.
- Width at the nut is 1 5/8".
- Two MFD single coil pickups.
- Pickup selector switch, volume and tone controls.
- "Locktight" (a/k/a Saddlelock) bridge.
- Open G&L tuners.

Sound-wise this bass is essentially the same as the Lynx I posted photos of the other day. The pickups and circuit are identical. Aside from the finish and decal, the only real difference is the slab body on the SB-2. When this bass arrived I threw on a cheap set of SIT round wounds for a tone test. Personally I'm not big on round wounds, but they were all I had on hand at the time. This bass gives a typical round wound tone (lots of snap and top end), but without as much brightness as I expected from a maple body. I know she will sound much much fuller with some good flats, but I may give LaBella Deep Talkin' quarter rounds a try first just to see what the trade-off will be like.

Ken

Re: Another birthday - '83 SB-2

Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Wonderful specimen once agian Ken. Beautiful body, exquisite neck. Congrats :happy0065:

- Jos

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Bastid! ;+) - ed

Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:54 pm

love it.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:06 am

These early basses really are a pleasure to look at. Yet another nice one, Ken!

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:56 am

Thanks for the comments. These older G&L basses have a vibe that to me is completely different than the newer ones. I'm not saying they're better, just different. I still count my 2000 L2K fretless as the most attractive and best made of my basses, but these early ones capture the vibe of those days really well and are a joy to play. I would give any of my Leo-era basses an edge on tone over just about anything out there.

Ken