Before and After

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:59 am

Here are the before and after pics. I forgot to take photo's of the before, so I am using the pics from the auction.

This is how the guitar looked when I got it. There was very little shine to it. There was a yellowish haze to the body and headstock. The fretboard was a mess:

Here it is after a good cleaning, buffing and polishing. It took 3 hours to clean and shine the frets and fretboard

Here is the back of the guitar when I got it. The neck was pretty black. The back of the headstock was pretty dirty as well

The body was cleaned and polished. I cleaned the neck with 000 steel wool and 2000 grit sandpaper. The neck is smooth as glass!

Closeup of the headstock. Someone had drawn a symbol with a black marker

Headstock after removing symbol and buffed and polished

Thanks for looking,
Dave

Re: Before and After

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:18 am

Thanks for showing us !!

And I still admire your mental strength

I have(had) less so with a Daphne blue Strat and 2 surfgreen(1 is actually belair) guitars

Roland
Last edited by thunder100 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:29 am

did they mount a nut mount floyd rose lock with an adapter?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:40 pm

louis cyfer wrote:did they mount a nut mount floyd rose lock with an adapter?

Louis, I've never seen one like this before. It's one piece with the string-t. The bottom of it is curved, so it sits flat on the curve of the headstock. Almost looks like it was made for Fender type guitars. And it is perfect height with the nut. I bought NOS Leo Fender Graph tech string locks last year in case I needed them one day. So I figured when I got this guitar I would put those back on. But so far I am impressed with this locking nut, so I may keep it on. It works nicely with the Kahler, and I've had no tuning stability issues.

Thanks,
Dave

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:10 pm

I'd have wanted that back too. Great looking rock axe!

What're the cable ties doing there?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:29 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:I'd have wanted that back too. Great looking rock axe!

What're the cable ties doing there?

Thanks Jamie, I feel very blessed to have it back. It's still a great playing guitar and sounds great. I should have never let it go to begin with.

I was very worried about the cable ties on the headstock when I saw the photo's online. I was prepared to have to get it professionally repaired. When I got to check it out, I looked at it closely and saw it was a very small hairline crack that wasn't deep at all. I was able to sand it out within a minute. You can't even feel it now, and can only see it when looking closely under a light. So I guess the previous owner thought the ties would prevent it from splitting and getting worse? I removed them without any issues.

The pawnshop owner said it came in like that. So props to him for mentioning it in the auction listing and trying to be as honest as he could.

Thanks,
Dave