Vintage G&L one-off

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:59 pm

Here's a vintage G&L S-500 at Guitar Center under their Vintage category that they are calling a G&L Standard for $800. I thought it looked quite clean. Look more closely at the headstock---after the usual spot for the S-500 name, it has extra writing, plus another little design detail. It's a G-200 neck, Series II! I'm guessing that this is an employee-made parts guitar, especially since it's at a GC near between LA and San Diego. Interestingly, that may make it a short-scale S-500, assuming the bridge position gives the correct length in conjunction with the neck. It's uniqueness as a G&L non-model works against its price, IMHO. Not sure who is going to buy this one...If you're a G&L fan, it wouldn't seem worth the money. Maybe they should call it a G&L SG-100,000?!? Here's a link to the vintage page; select the G&L make from the right-side menu and the results will come up. http://www.vintageguitars.net/

They've more recently added a Skyhawk in blue with matching headstock, Leo fine-tuner bridge, and some chunks of paint missing, perhaps some rust.

Re: Vintage G&L one-off

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:32 pm

tomanche wrote:Here's a vintage G&L S-500 at Guitar Center under their Vintage category that they are calling a G&L Standard for $800. I thought it looked quite clean. Look more closely at the headstock---after the usual spot for the S-500 name, it has extra writing, plus another little design detail. It's a G-200 neck, Series II! I'm guessing that this is an employee-made parts guitar, especially since it's at a GC near between LA and San Diego. Interestingly, that may make it a short-scale S-500, assuming the bridge position gives the correct length in conjunction with the neck. It's uniqueness as a G&L non-model works against its price, IMHO. Not sure who is going to buy this one...If you're a G&L fan, it wouldn't seem worth the money. Maybe they should call it a G&L SG-100,000?!? Here's a link to the vintage page; select the G&L make from the right-side menu and the results will come up. http://www.vintageguitars.net/

They've more recently added a Skyhawk in blue with matching headstock, Leo fine-tuner bridge, and some chunks of paint missing, perhaps some rust.

I believe that is a S-500 with a stock S-500 neck.

The headstock decal looks similar to this 1983 waterslide S-500 Series II decail I got years ago from Dave during a trip to the factory:

Here is an enlarged image of the headstock, but the resolution of the original is too low to get a very good image:

:ugeek:

Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:09 am

I called the store the day before this thread was started. This guitar was described to me as appearing to be a 100% original S-500. The serial number isn't registered, but it's on the bridge and consistent with '82 or very early '83 production.

It's not a bad price for a clean S-500, if there are no hidden flaws.

I may start a separate thread about an F-100 they have in another store, with a bridge/serial number configuration I've never seen before.

Ken

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks, guys, for your research and knowledge. I had emailed the store but didn't get a reply. I had looked at all S-500 pictures on Greg G's website and hadn't seen any evidence of that S-500 Series II decal. It is a decent price---now that I've told the world, how can I scoop it? ;)

Ken, is that the black F-100 in NJ? I'm going to look at the red one near Chicago tomorrow after I fly in there.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:12 pm

tomanche wrote:Ken, is that the black F-100 in NJ? I'm going to look at the red one near Chicago tomorrow after I fly in there.

It is in NJ. I would be cautious about it, personally. There is no body date, and the bridge is not like anything I've ever seen or heard of. It is apparently stamped "G&L Custom" and does not have a "G00XXXX" serial number like you would expect to find. According to the store clerk, the number 2382 is stamped on it. The bridge is not shaped like a normal Dual Fulcrum, although it has the same distinctive mounting posts and hole for the arm. I thought it might have been some sort of prototype. My F-100 has one of the original DFV bridges (S/N G000504) from the first batch that was made (the official "first" G&L serial number is G000530). Mine F-100's body and neck were both from several months into production (September or October if I remember correctly).

The neck date on this guitar is from October 1980. Although the salesman said there was no body date (I asked them to check, since I was suspicious about the bridge), some of my early G&Ls do have very faint stamps on the bodies.

Somebody put a Gibson-style pickup selector marker under the switch on this one, but the salesman thought it was a decal that would come off easily.

I hope this helps. I haven't seen the one in Chicago. FWIW, another early sunburst one just went up on the Vintage site. The photo looks like it may be a 'hog body. I hope I'm not inspiring too much Leo-era GAS here. Welcome to the Dark Side! :lol:

No need to scoop me on it. I just grabbed one this morning that I had missed the first time around last year. Standby for a heartbreaker of a NGD in about two weeks!

Ken

Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:43 pm

KenC wrote:
tomanche wrote:Ken, is that the black F-100 in NJ? I'm going to look at the red one near Chicago tomorrow after I fly in there.

It is in NJ. I would be cautious about it, personally. There is no body date, and the bridge is not like anything I've ever seen or heard of. It is apparently stamped "G&L Custom" and does not have a "G00XXXX" serial number like you would expect to find.
Ken

I have had an 'aftermarket' G&L tremelo assembly ,purchased from G&L in the 80's,
and the plate had 'custom' stamped instead of a serial number.The box is around here somewhere.

I still have a 'custom' bridge plate in my parts drawer.
I think the front edge curve is reversed from what the standard numbered bridges used (concave instead of convex).
I figure just like the Fine tuner trems , there were a few different ideas that came to fruition.

So it could be a parts/employee guitar . maybe they were short some finished bridges and grabbed some boxed 'custom' assemblies.

It's worth at least the sum of the parts cost, and more if it plays spectacular.
I'd want to play it before I bought it, or at least know I could return it if warranted.

I'd double check the string spacing at the bridge , the early F-100's had skinnier longer saddles ...
if the bridge assembly wasn't period correct it might have too much spread due to the saddle width
(they are only about 1/16 " or less thinner, but it adds up ).

Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:22 pm

Elwood wrote:
KenC wrote:

It is in NJ. I would be cautious about it, personally. There is no body date, and the bridge is not like anything I've ever seen or heard of. It is apparently stamped "G&L Custom" and does not have a "G00XXXX" serial number like you would expect to find.
Ken

I have had an 'aftermarket' G&L tremelo assembly ,purchased from G&L in the 80's,
and the plate had 'custom' stamped instead of a serial number.The box is around here somewhere.

I still have a 'custom' bridge plate in my parts drawer.
I think the front edge curve is reversed from what the standard numbered bridges used (concave instead of convex).
I figure just like the Fine tuner trems , there were a few different ideas that came to fruition.

We have one in the Gallery, see Album: 1982 Vibrato Assembly

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks Craig,
your the best !!

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:28 am

Craig wrote:We have one in the Gallery, see Album: 1982 Vibrato Assembly

That's the one!

Ken