NGD - SC-2 Content

Mon May 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Boy was I surprised to see this for sale on the Guitar Center Used website last week. Just took delivery today, and she's a beauty:

Here's another shot with her long lost sister:

I've not played the new one except to make sure it's fully functional, which it is, but I will be putting her through the paces this week. This guitar is light and resonant with a 2-piece maple body. Doesn't seem quite as brash as my black beauty but I need to get pickup height, etc.. to my liking. It definitely has the sustain I was looking for from the saddle-lock.

Re: NGD - SC-2 Content

Mon May 21, 2012 4:52 pm

What a find! What is the build year?-- Darwin

Mon May 21, 2012 5:09 pm

darwinohm wrote:What a find! What is the build year?-- Darwin

Yes, indeed. Not yet sure of the build year. I imagine it's a late-1983 given that it has the sealed Schaller tuners, but I will pull the neck first chance I get and make sure she gets registered.

Mon May 21, 2012 5:20 pm

Congrats! You beat me to her. The salesman I spoke with on the phone said she was bought by somebody who really liked old G&Ls. I had been afraid that she could have gone to a modder...

I'm surprised at how nice the finish is. The GC photo looked like there was a big chunk of missing finish.

Ken

Mon May 21, 2012 5:32 pm

KenC wrote:Congrats! You beat me to her. The salesman I spoke with on the phone said she was bought by somebody who really liked old G&Ls. I had been afraid that she could have gone to a modder...

I'm surprised at how nice the finish is. The GC photo looked like there was a big chunk of missing finish.

Ken

Thanks Ken. The finish is nice, but she's definitely been around the block. Plenty of nicks and dings, but some people pay extra for that these days! The neck and frets are perfect, and it's a solid specimen all around. And don't worry - I won't be modding it!

Mon May 21, 2012 5:38 pm

I still can't believe I was able to snag an SC-1 from GC last month. It was actually up on their site for several days before I gave in and pulled the trigger.

Ken

Mon May 21, 2012 7:24 pm

Yeah!! :clap: Great catch indeed! And a beautiful pair to boot :happy0065:

- Jos

Thu May 24, 2012 10:54 pm

KenC wrote:I still can't believe I was able to snag an SC-1 from GC last month. It was actually up on their site for several days before I gave in and pulled the trigger.

Ken

That IS crazy - I played an SC-1 just one time but that's all it took to know they are great guitars.

yowhatsshakin wrote:Yeah!! :clap: Great catch indeed! And a beautiful pair to boot :happy0065:

- Jos

Thanks Jos. After a few days of playing, it's a toss up between them. The sunburst hardtail is definitely brighter - makes me want to get my Albert Collins on (if only). The black one is punchier and the tone knob seems to have a slightly broader range. I'm going to compare electronics when I get a chance to see what's under the hood. They both sound raw and play amazingly well, and I am blown away that these were essentially entry-level models at the time. Amazing.

Fri May 25, 2012 3:32 am

desertrat07 wrote: The black one is punchier and the tone knob seems to have a slightly broader range. I'm going to compare electronics when I get a chance to see what's under the hood.

Would you mind cross-posting your findings and impressions to the Limited Edition 2 pickup thread? This is very relevant to the current discussion we're having.

Ken