How long haven't we been talking about the SC-1?

Wed May 16, 2012 9:07 pm

You thought that there already was enough talk about it in the GbL Limited Edition II Discussion where KenC had been extolling the virtues of the SC-1? Whatever your opinion, my interest was piqued and I just had to check out an SC-1 for myself. So I got me one of the 2 recently offered on eBay; the better looking one IMO because it is Black! And what a little kicker it is. I tuned it up this afternoon and plugged it into my Mesa Express 5:25, opened up the volume and tone controls and started strumming. "Loud!" said the wife. And loud mine is. I measured the DC resistance to be 5kΩ which is about ~10% higher than the DC-resistance on my Broadcasters, C.L.F. Centennial, and even my Junior, all being between 4.6kΩ-4.9kΩ. Dialing back the volume doesn't seem to lose any high-end. Nice! The tone taper is magnificent (I know that is quite the praise). Tones range from almost pure 'ice pick' to nice, unmuddy, warm jazz tones. Added bonus was that its S/N G013537 had not been registered yet. Neck date is '3 24 83' but no stamp is present in the neck pocket.

Lets provide proof the damn thing exists:
1- Time correct hard shell case with rust-colored plush lining but no compartment.
2- Front and back view.
ImageImage
3- The electronics under the cover
4- Patent sticker on neck plate. Just like the sticker on one of my Broadcaster, pat. no. 4,319,510 is misprinted as 431950! At least they are consistent ;)
5- Damn hard to capture the S/N on these powder coated bridges so I hope I read it right

Couple of other observations:
  • I also have an ASAT '50 where the tone control only works in the middle position and I would say that the SC-1 is just a tad better. Or maybe it is just because it is simpler. One pup, so who needs a switch?
  • KenC was correct in his assessment that there are a lot of tones to be gotten out of such a simple configuration. Again, maybe it is just the simplicity of it all. You just dial 'til you find a useful setting. The old addition by subtraction adage ...
  • If you come along one, try the SC-1.
  • Don't know whether all Black guitars sound better, but this one sounds pretty good.

- Jos

Re: How long haven't we been talking about the SC-1?

Thu May 17, 2012 12:08 am

YESYESYES,
good for you Jos,

I've heard of folks taking pencil rubbings of the crinkle serial#'s to read them.

Nice to get some more plot points on SC-1 graph of magnificence,
Does it have a 250 ohm pot and a green chiclet cap (maybe two?).
Is there a treble bleed?
Now when is that NW just-a-jam so I can hear her in person ?

Elwood

Thu May 17, 2012 1:46 am

Congrats! These guitars are really cool.

It doesn't have that treble eating cap, my - sorry for being OT - SC-2 had, before I took it apart. A picture with it still there: http://i.wuell.net/gallery/view_photo.p ... d=IMG_4551

What is the problem, finding your new guitar already registered? Some of us do register guitars seen at EBay or somewhere else, if the serial number is clearly visible. Bad behavior? :mrgreen:

Thu May 17, 2012 2:28 am

Miles Smiles wrote:

What is the problem, finding your new guitar already registered? Some of us do register guitars seen at EBay or somewhere else, if the serial number is clearly visible. Bad behavior? :mrgreen:

I think it's the bonus of having the fun of adding instruments to the archive (not to mention a rarebird)
that was M.I.A. as far as the registry is concerned. Keep adding those ebay finds !

Elwood

Thu May 17, 2012 4:36 am

Hey Jos,

That is one awesome specimen! I am glad that you like it, and glad it went to a great home :thumbup: I too am dying for some sound clips .....Ken, Jos...anyone.... :D

Scott

Thu May 17, 2012 5:48 am

Elwood wrote:YESYESYES,
good for you Jos,

I've heard of folks taking pencil rubbings of the crinkle serial#'s to read them.

Nice to get some more plot points on SC-1 graph of magnificence,
Does it have a 250 ohm pot and a green chiclet cap (maybe two?).
Is there a treble bleed?
Now when is that NW just-a-jam so I can hear her in person ?

Elwood

Thanks Elwood! I will try the pencil trick. The same idea came to me yesterday when I hit the sack.

You see the electronics pic in full resolution when you click on it. Beyond taking the pic, I didn't really check the pot value or otherwise pay too much attention to what's under the cover. But I'm pretty sure the circuitry is pretty vanilla.

- Jos

Thu May 17, 2012 6:12 am

Elwood wrote:
Miles Smiles wrote:

I think it's the bonus of having the fun of adding instruments to the archive (not to mention a rarebird)
that was M.I.A. as far as the registry is concerned. Keep adding those ebay finds !

Elwood

Exactly! When you talk about a limited number of instruments, bringing another into the light is a big bonus. Just as an observation, of all the Rarebirds listed, only all 25 Trinities are registered. And then some, because also the replacement for the #1 and the Trinity/S-3 with incorrect binding are registered. As far as my SC-3 is concerned, the auction included a picture of the neck date stamp and looking through the Registry I hence expected it to be G014632. But apparently more than one SC-1 (neck) were worked on that day.

And Miles, you'll notice that my SC-1 only has the .02μF and .047μF caps, the latter being different compared to you SC-2 (and BTW why would an SC-2 ever be off-topic ;)), and no treble bleed caps. The tone should change when you dial down the volume, and it does, but not as much as for some other guitars I have where it is really noticeable. This one keeps a lot of spank.

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Thu May 17, 2012 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 17, 2012 6:16 am

gitman001 wrote:Hey Jos,

That is one awesome specimen! I am glad that you like it, and glad it went to a great home :thumbup: I too am dying for some sound clips .....Ken, Jos...anyone.... :D

Scott

Scott, I'm sorry, but this is where I have to disappoint you :( I haven't spent a single dime yet on any recording equipment. I don't even own a mike. Go figure ... ;)

- Jos

Thu May 17, 2012 8:15 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Elwood wrote:
Miles Smiles wrote:

Elwood

Exactly! When you talk about a limited number of instruments, bringing another into the light is a big bonus. Just as an observation, of all the Rarebirds listed, only all 25 Trinities are registered. And then some, because also the replacement for the #1 and the Trinity/S-3 with incorrect binding are registered. As far as my SC-3 is concerned, the auction included a picture of the neck date stamp and looking through the Registry I hence expected it to be G014632. But apparently more than one SC-1 (neck) were worked on that day.

And Miles, you'll notice that my SC-1 only has the .02μF and .047μF caps, the latter being different compared to you SC-2 (and BTW why would an SC-2 ever be off-topic ;)), and no treble bleed caps. The tone should change when you dial down the volume, and it does, but not as much as for some other guitars I have where it is really noticeable. This one keeps a lot of spank.

- Jos
that cap on the volume control is a treble bleed. what treble bleed are you talking about?

Thu May 17, 2012 9:11 am

louis cyfer wrote:that cap on the volume control is a treble bleed. what treble bleed are you talking about?

That's right, I was talking about that treble sink cap. The second one on the treble control, which had been in the circuit permanently. So treble is bleeding there to ground and not to the output jack. I removed it and now I have to roll off the treble control the most time, else not the treble but my ears will bleed. :D

But I have the choice to have the full treble available, if I want and in conjunction with the neck pu, I often do. I guess neck PU is OT in an SC-1 thread. :oops: :mrgreen:

Thu May 17, 2012 11:10 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
You see the electronics pic in full resolution when you click on it.

- Jos

Thanks, my late might eyes missed that. It's cool to see the dremelled area's on the back of the control plate.
The Real Ones ....built by Real humans :)

Thu May 17, 2012 7:16 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Don't know whether all Black guitars sound better, but this one sounds pretty good.

They sound almost as good as Viking Blue.

Now it's your turn to get me GASsy for an ASAT. :lol:

I'm glad you like it and have the same opinion about the circuit. These are wonderful guitars. I wonder how many SC-1 purchases will result from the LE 2 discussion.

Ken

Thu May 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Jos,

I can't remember whether you've mentioned having an original SC-2. If you do, how does your SC-1 compare to the SC-2's bridge pup? How about a Broadcaster or an early ASAT?

Ken

Thu May 17, 2012 7:44 pm

KenC wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:Don't know whether all Black guitars sound better, but this one sounds pretty good.

They sound almost as good as Viking Blue.

Now it's your turn to get me GASsy for an ASAT. :lol:

I'm glad you like it and have the same opinion about the circuit. These are wonderful guitars. I wonder how many SC-1 purchases will result from the LE 2 discussion.

Ken

Ken, I'm glad you did. This little bugger has no problem being accepted in this household. My wife likes the shape and looks of it too. Saves me of having to 'defend' myself. It also made me realize that it is unfortunate that in the days this guitar was available, I spent similar money on clunkers. Of course I don't know whether they were available in NL or not but it is the thought that counts in this case. Like I said, the GbL LE II debate certainly whetted my appetite. And now we all learned that G&L apparent does want to revisit the SC-1 (yet?) so it turns out to be a nice investment and score too.

The answer your 2nd post: I do not have an original SC-2 (yet), but in comparison with the Broadcaster I would say the SC-1 is a (s)punky teenager whereas the Broadcaster is a mellowed out, more mature, thirty something but still with some youthful exuberance and mischief in 'm. Hope that makes sense. When I started playing the SC-1 yesterday 'My Sharona' popped up in my head and that was a lot of fun. For both Broadcaster upon first acquaintance I gravitated more to the neck pup because that thing sound so fantastic.

Now Ken, get yourself a (poor man's) Broadcaster so you can judge! :evilgrin:

- Jos

Fri May 18, 2012 5:00 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:Now Ken, get yourself a (poor man's) Broadcaster so you can judge! :evilgrin:

My '86 ASAT got a lot of playing time yesterday. The body and neck dates are both from May, so it could just as easily have ended up with a black headstock and Broadcaster decal.

I have to say my ASAT comes closer to the SC-1's tonal versatility on the bridge pup than the SC-2 does. That's not knocking the SC-2 in any way, as it's an incredibly sweet sounding and fun guitar.

I think the responsible thing to do is track down another SC-2 and replicate the experiment. Maybe the difference is because my SC-2 isn't Viking Blue... :lol:

Ken

Fri May 18, 2012 7:03 am

That's a beauty Jos, and with the black saddle lock too! Not helping me at all with my SC-1 GAS :lolno: Something about the look of the SC-1 just screams 'play me' more than any other guitar I've seen. WANT!