Video from our first gig

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:37 am

I mentioned the hobby band I've been involved in in Bill's pinch-hit lunch report last week. We played our first ever performance a couple of months ago and our singer's friend recorded the show. I finally got the video files this past weekend and I have put one up on youtube. I'm the guy on the left. Here's hoping we don't get too many thumbs down votes.

Kit
Last edited by Craig on Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed video post

Re: Video from our first gig

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:43 am

Kit, thanks for posting. the crowd seems to love it and that is what its all about. Entertainment! I had never heard this song before. I'm still in a cave.-- Darwin

Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:10 pm

Nice job, Kit. That's one of my all-time favorite songs!

Good start, Bassman. Hope you can understand that I don't have much time today. The wife is a CPA and well, I'm in charge of everything that is not tax related at the moment.

Never have played an active instrument - guitar or bass - so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but I think I'll stay on the passive side. All I am saying, is give passive a chance. Ha! - ed

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:43 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Nice job, Kit. That's one of my all-time favorite songs!

Good start, Bassman. Hope you can understand that I don't have much time today. The wife is a CPA and well, I'm in charge of everything that is not tax related at the moment.

Never have played an active instrument - guitar or bass - so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but I think I'll stay on the passive side. All I am saying, is give passive a chance. Ha! - ed

remember, this is not the lunch report forum.

kit,not bad, the drummer is really shaky, so it is hard for you guys. i think the singer is having a tough time with the key you are playing this song in.
might want to think about a little more stage presence, all of you are just standing staring at your guitars. look up, engage the audience sometimes.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:15 am

louis cyfer wrote:kit,not bad, the drummer is really shaky, so it is hard for you guys. i think the singer is having a tough time with the key you are playing this song in.
might want to think about a little more stage presence, all of you are just standing staring at your guitars. look up, engage the audience sometimes.

Thanks, Louis. I agree with all that you say. This song is particularly tough since it spans a large vocal range, it fact we changed the key we play in originally already. I am aware that we have no stage presence, our singer is actually not bad when it comes to engaging the audience, and I try to move around a little. But saying I am the one with the second more visible stage presence is a really sad statement. I'll pass on your comments to the band. There is a reason why we are a hobby band and only aspires to play for an audience; we have a whole lot to work on.

Kit

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:06 am

Kit wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:kit,not bad, the drummer is really shaky, so it is hard for you guys. i think the singer is having a tough time with the key you are playing this song in.

Thanks, Louis. I agree with all that you say. This song is particularly tough since it spans a large vocal range, it fact we changed the key we play in originally already. I am aware that we have no stage presence, our singer is actually not bad when it comes to engaging the audience, and I try to move around a little. But saying I am the one with the second more visible stage presence is a really sad statement. I'll pass on your comments to the band. There is a reason why we are a hobby band and only aspires to play for an audience; we have a whole lot to work on.

Kit

btw, i did enjoy the song. i really like the singer's voice, she has a nice tone going. you guys did a good job for a hobby band, considering the time you have been together. i just think that people get more out of hearing where they can improve instead of just saying good job. also, whenever i make comments to someone pointing out areas of possible improvement, it is always when i see value in the performance and potential to improve. i don't make those comments if i don't think they are worth it.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:11 am

Great to see you guys playing out now. It must be adding more energy and purpose to your practice sessions. I agree with Louis, your singer is stretching her vocal range on this song. She struggles on the low notes but hits the high notes nicely. This is a difficult song for any singer, even a pro, so it's impressive that she does it as well as she does. It really is a vocal centric song. Its a great song and one really worthy of playing. One of the things I like about your band is that you guys will try anything. You aren't intimidated by any song. My only critisism of the band - is that a music stand infront of your singer? If it is, she's got to dump it.

Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed it. Add some more if you get a chance.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:47 am

Tom, thank you for your input. If you look closely you'll see that we all have music stands. I know I use mine as a crutch; I sneak a look at it every so often so I don't get lost during the song. Our singer uses her sheet music the same way I do. The others are worse in that they tend to read and play (harking back to Louis' critique of the band). We obviously have to work on getting comfortable as a performing band, and also getting more confidence in being able to play our songs.

Every song we played that night were recorded, and there were 24 of them. One problem is that the video for each song tend to have a certain amount of dead time at the beginning. In order to get them ready to be posted I need to trim off the talking and dead time at the beginning, otherwise no one will want to watch them. I did manage to upload a second song which is an original written and sung by our other guitarist Harvey. I uploaded it since I believe he should be proud of his song and performance.

Kit
Last edited by Craig on Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed video post