Vintage SC-2 Auction Bewilderment

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:12 pm

I am truly shocked that this instrument did not sell for at least $300 more!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270931706393&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

Am I crazy? This thing looks darn near mint and has the original OHSC. Do you think the result has anything to do with the fact that this instrument featured the second body style? I don't get it. I would have bid more had I known.... Thoughts? - ed

Re: Vintage SC-2 Auction Bewilderment

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:41 pm

I agree, i would have thought at least 650-700 on a slow day.
Especially since alot of us know Josey's G&L's are well cared for.

We bought a soldering station and E-120 JBL to recone and I didn't have much
competition.
Someone with a bluebook (Jos?) could tell us what an old SC-2 maybe should bring.

Someone had one of those asset angels helping them today,
Elwood

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:17 am

Bargain. That is pristine.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:42 am

i am surprised patrick did not jump all over this, it's in his neck of the woods. if it had a trem, i would have bought it, i like this body style.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:42 am

I know, i could not believe the price.... I watched the clock tick all the way down to 0 waiting for the bidding war to begin. I will say it was very tempting, my fingers did hover over the keyboard for a few seconds! I hope it went to a good home.

My semi hollow special, as well as the special DLX, were similar situations for me... I kept waiting for someone to out bid me, and it never happened. :banana:

Scott

Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:30 am

It occurs to me that perhaps the availability of high quality reissues has softened the market for these "vintage" guitars. ? - ed

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:16 am

zapcosongs wrote:It occurs to me that perhaps the availability of high quality reissues has softened the market for these "vintage" guitars. ? - ed

It appears to me that the used guitar market is in shambles, period. I think the lesser known brands are getting hit a little harder than the big boys.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:57 am

Elwood wrote:Someone had one of those asset angels helping them today,
Elwood

LOL! - ed

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:08 am

sickbutnottired wrote:
zapcosongs wrote:It occurs to me that perhaps the availability of high quality reissues has softened the market for these "vintage" guitars. ? - ed

It appears to me that the used guitar market is in shambles, period. I think the lesser known brands are getting hit a little harder than the big boys.

Encouraging to hear considering the price I paid for the fine tuner Skyhawk! This was a very nice peice. I have too many irons in the fire to have jumped at this one. The price was AMAZING- especially considering a nearly identical guitar in the first body style in lesser condition went for $910 a few weeks back. (Josey has others I would prefer over this one.) It could be a simple question of timing- too many in the market away from the computer- or tightening their belts prior to tax time.

I don't think reissues dilute the vintage collector market- on the contrary, I think once awareness has been raised about the original by the reissue, more collector minded people set about seeking the originals. That holds true with most collectibles, and certainly the case with guitars.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:48 pm

Elwood wrote:Someone with a bluebook (Jos?) could tell us what an old SC-2 maybe should bring.

I was watching this auction too and then completely forgot about it :(

To answer question, I think we'll all agree that this instrument looks to be (at least) in mint condition. For the second body style, according to the Blue Book this should ahve corresponded to about $950. For the price it sold, the condition would be Very Good (or 70% in BB parlance). Go figure!?

Whoever got it should be exceedingly happy. I hope they appreciate what they got.

- Jos

Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:35 pm

Thanks much Jos !

Ed pretty much nailed it,
this has me thinking I need more vintage G&Ls.

Elwood

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:45 am

This one sure had me puzzled. Like just about everybody else here, I expected it to go for more. It is a nice specimen for sure. I guess that's the risk you take when you post auctions with no reserve. At least it proves that I don't use shill bidders! :-) Fortunately, this outcome is an exception rather than the rule. Ya win some, ya lose some.