1985 USA Legacy Plus ?????

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:40 pm

I made a trade and one of the guitars I got is a USA 1985 Legacy Plus its solid black with a maple neck w/jumbo frets. it is a HSS configuration with a Seymour Duncan HB. the bridge has fine tuners on it and the pickup switching is done with 3 toggles one for each pickup and only one volume and one tone . so far I love it I have searched for days and cant find any info on it does anyone know anything about this???? Ill get some pics up asap Thanks in advance Mark

Re: 1985 USA Legacy Plus ?????

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:56 pm

Welcome Mark,

hmmm...it sounds a like an Invader:

http://www.ggjaguar.com/invader.htm

or by remote chances , an Interceptor:

maybe there has been a neck swap in it's history, I bet she plays great just the same.
Is the bridge a Kahler or the G&L 'Dual Fulcrum Vibrato' ,they made some variations with fine tuners.

Looking forward to pics!

Elwood

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Astorga wrote:I made a trade and one of the guitars I got is a USA 1985 Legacy Plus its solid black with a maple neck w/jumbo frets. it is a HSS configuration with a Seymour Duncan HB. the bridge has fine tuners on it and the pickup switching is done with 3 toggles one for each pickup and only one volume and one tone . so far I love it I have searched for days and cant find any info on it does anyone know anything about this???? Ill get some pics up asap Thanks in advance Mark

The Legacy and Legacy Specials were first released in 1992. Are you sure of the build year on this guitar?
Did you see a 1985 build year in the neck pocket and/or on the neck heel?

See our G&L Knowledgebase, General G&L Questions and you will find this post: What is the story behind the Legacy Plus?

See Tutorial: Posting photos.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:29 pm

Elwood wrote:Welcome Mark,

hmmm...it sounds a like an Invader:

http://www.ggjaguar.com/invader.htm

or by remote chances , an Interceptor:

maybe there has been a neck swap in it's history, I bet she plays great just the same.
Is the bridge a Kahler or the G&L 'Dual Fulcrum Vibrato' ,they made some variations with fine tuners.

Looking forward to pics!

Elwood

I agree with Elwood that your description matches the guitar he shows and it's probable that the
neck was swapped.

Also looking forward to pictures, as well. :searching:

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:56 pm

The body is definetly Legacy not as pointy as the interceptor but switching and bridge are the same the single coils are different also not the rivet looking pole pieces .I will take it apart tomorrow and look at the neck pocket what should I look for there??

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Astorga wrote:The body is definetly Legacy not as pointy as the interceptor but switching and bridge are the same the single coils are different also not the rivet looking pole pieces .I will take it apart tomorrow and look at the neck pocket what should I look for there??

There should be a date stamped (MM/DD/YYYY) in the neck pocket (body date) and on the neck heel (neck date).

The single coil sized pickups should be blade humbucker pickups.

Here's what a production Legacy Special look's like:

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:30 am

I didn't mention it but on the headstock just after the word Legacy it says "plus" in a golden yellowish color.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:38 pm

Well its a 85 invader and the neck is a 93 custom shop???? Great player now wonder what its worth or did i get taken???

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Astorga wrote:Well its a 85 invader and the neck is a 93 custom shop???? Great player now wonder what its worth or did i get taken???

If it's one of the few that received a "plus" decal then that makes it a bit
more interesting for a G&L collector.

I'd value the guitar at what the neck and body would sell for if sold separately.
My mid 80's invaders ( I have two) are tone monsters, having one with a maple legacy neck
actually sounds like a good match, especially if you are fond of a more traditional 'C' shaped neck.
The original necks were pretty slim.

Pictures will help determine overall value,
...some of those invaders got pretty beat up.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:31 pm

Here comes pics it is actually green it looked black in low light. this thing is a tonebeast Im lovin it.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:00 am

I think, whatever you've paid, it wasn't too much. :)

BTW: I still wonder, how that fine tuners are working.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 am

I don't know whether or not the neck on this guitar is a "Legacy Plus" sample
neck from the factory or if a previous owner has added the "plus" aftermarket.
Unfortunately, I have never seen a Climax Plus headstock decal to determine which it is.

The neckplate and pickups, however, are not stock from the G&L factory.

It should be registered in our G&L Registry as an Invader and add a comment in
the Other Features that the neck was replaced with a Legacy neck. Also note
that there is a "plus" decal added after the Legacy decal but origin is unknown.

Hope this helps.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:52 pm

Heres a pic of the neck and pickups any insight as to what kind they are is appreciated.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Astorga wrote:Heres a pic of the neck and pickups any insight as to what kind they are is appreciated.

I did some Internet searching and found some Climax Plus photos. After checking them out
I do believe the neck is from one of the Legacy Plus samples from the G&L factory. The marking
and date on the neck heel would also support this, too.

Here is one of this pictures:

Note that the 'x' in the Climax part of the decal crosses over the bottom part of the 'p' in plus. The plus decal
on your guitar shows a spot around that same location on the bottom of the 'p'. Also, G&L decals do come in
different colors to be used on painted headstocks.

Hope this helps.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:59 pm

I just have to say the neck is a work of art the fret work is amazing I have guitars worth 4x as much and this thing puts them to shame. I'm loving playing it can't put it down. :)