My first song with the Rampage

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:08 pm

recorded this bad boy last weekend; my first recording with the Rampage and i love it's tone!
and i used my G&L L2000 here too..pure G&L song here! haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP0puDcE ... e=youtu.be

Re: My first song with the Rampage

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:21 pm

[youtube]AP0puDcEKhk[/youtube]

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:09 pm

jayochs wrote:recorded this bad boy last weekend; my first recording with the Rampage and i love it's tone!
and i used my G&L L2000 here too..pure G&L song here! haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP0puDcE ... e=youtu.be

Okay now please let us know how you set this up.

It sounds great.

I would increase the volume of the lead guitar a little though. It often gets lost in the mix.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:50 pm

hey louis, thanks! haha i wasn't sure if the tags would turn it into an embedded video or not..once again, you always come through ;D

and michael, thanks for the kind words :)

basically, i'm running 3 guitars here..left, right, center...all rampage, all through my JCM 2000. left is nothing, just the rampage through the JCM, gain at about 8 and mic'ed with an SM57. right channel, during the riff, is using a Boss OC-3 octave pedal, which is switched off for every other part, and mic'ed with a sennheiser e609. center channel is the same settings, but with the OC3 on the entire time with the sm57

and i hear ya about the lead guitar..only problem is, since it was all improv, i was kinda reluctant to let it SCREAM because of the fact that it's nothing special to me lol so yeah, admittadly i did leave it a little low.

what i use is a tascam 6 channel USB box. it lets me record each track seperately in adobe audition, which is great for me. the lead guitars are stereo left/right witht he SM57 on the left, and 609 on the right.

the drums, actually i cheated a bit...i used 7 mics on the drums (hassle, but i was able to add a 7th mic by running my sm57 into a mixer, then into another USB unit, and recorded THAT track in another program lol, work around since my Tascam only has 6 ports!)...so basically, i did drum replacements on the toms and the snare and kick. although, i only mixed it about 50/50, so that my original tone for every drum still shines through, but that's mixed with a drum replacement clip, which makes the drums much more studio-esque and tight sounding. the 7 mics for the drums were two overheads for stereo overhead, a snare mic, high hat mic, kick mic, two tom mics.

bass on this song was real simple..i just ran my L2000 into a Sansamp Bass Driver DI...had both pickups on, but turned the tone to 0. nice fat tone..this wasn't really a bass song, so it just held the backbone together...but i do like the little run i do during the second verse part on it, i think it sounds neat :)

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:15 am

Great!

Is that a Tribute Rampage?

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:47 pm

yes sir! got her for around $510 i believe, since i got her when musicians friend was doing a 15% off deal for stuff over 299. this guitar ROCKS! it's pickup sounds so unique..very mid-rangey nasally honky, something i really like, because i've got duncan SH4 JB's in two of my other guitars, and through my marshall, it's WAY too chunky and dark..it's not CHUGGY enough, but this rampage chugs without the need of an OD in front, which you can hear in this song. that pickup sure sounds amazing!

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:18 pm

Very nicely done! I like the mix as it is. Although this is not the kind of music I usually listen to you did a terrific job putting the song together. Nothing is overplayed and plenty of tone to go around, and you made a 4-minutes instrumental interesting to listen to, and that is a feat in itself.

Kit

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:25 pm

thanks, kit! :D

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:58 am

well done,
The mix in the break around 1:50 really evoked early Rush for me (Caress of Steel),
and then maybe even a little 2112 after that...are you a Rush fan?

Thanks for sharing !

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:20 pm

i know exactly what you mean, i hear that sound too! haha..i'm a rush fan, not a HUGE fan, but i love geddy's playing, and alex wrote some great stuff!

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:39 am

looking forward to your next project,
My Rampage has been my go to guitar for he last month or so,
They rock !!

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:40 pm

That was freakin' great! Wow!

(I could live without 2:30 - 2:58 - so sue me!)

Nevertheless (and can I say this on live G&L?) what I was thinking is this:

Whichever sweetheart you defile after the show would likely want tickets for the next one. Ha! ;+)

Yeah, rock it! - ed

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:24 pm

zapcosongs wrote:That was freakin' great! Wow!

(I could live without 2:30 - 2:58 - so sue me!)

Nevertheless (and can I say this on live G&L?) what I was thinking is this:

Whichever sweetheart you defile after the show would likely want tickets for the next one. Ha! ;+)

Yeah, rock it! - ed

i agree. that part just does not fit well. the rest of the song has a good drive, good hook, and that bridge is like a big let down. both harmonically and rhythmically.