Nighthawk w/ an F-100 P/U at the bridge?

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:57 am

This is probably not factory, but then again, how easy would it have been to find an aftermarket F-100 pickup (and how likely would it have been for someboy to swap the bridge out for one, instead of some generic DiMarzio, considering the era...)

Anyway, one of a kind, whether or not original and still 100% G&L, I guess.

*Linky*

Re: Nighthawk w/ an F-100 P/U at the bridge?

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:50 am

kakerlak wrote:This is probably not factory, but then again, how easy would it have been to find an aftermarket F-100 pickup (and how likely would it have been for someboy to swap the bridge out for one, instead of some generic DiMarzio, considering the era...)

Anyway, one of a kind, whether or not original and still 100% G&L, I guess.

*Linky*

I agree with you that this likely is not factory. I checked both the Rarebird's Nighthawk page and Greg Gagliano's 1983 Nighthawk
page and neither of them mention any optional pickup configurations. Also, when Brad Traweek put together the Rarebird page
he had contacted Dale Hyatt who has the original G&L Factory Logbooks and does not mention pickup configs just various finishes.
Of course, that may be what Brad was after and nothing else. I checked the G&L Registry and don't find this guitar registered (which
I will do soon) but we do have another one registered which says "SSH pickup configuration". However, there is no current owner
so we cannot try and verify whether or not this is original factory built or at least get some history on that guitar.

Another reason I think it's not factory installed, is that the toggle switch (likely the coil splitter) is installed inplace of one of the tone pots,
thus rendering a change in the tone circuit. I would expect that the factory would have installed the coil splitter in a separate location.
Also, note that the eBay ad says "Controls (STOCK): Master Volume, Treble, & Bass, 3-Way Toggle + 5-way Pickup Selector" but
clearly one of the tone controls is not there. If the toggle is really a 3-way what is it used for?

Also, I am quite sure that the pickups had individual routs so I'd like to see under the pickguard to see how this MFD humbucker was installed.
As far as acquiring an MFD humbucker, it might have been as simple as purchasing/ordering one from a G&L dealer. These pickups were available
as accessories:

(page from 1988 G&L Pricelist)

Definitely an interesting rarebird, but if modified I think the asking price is a bit high.

Thanks for post this and I will move into the "Let's talk G&L Products" sub-forum so that this post
will remain on the forum.

:ugeek:

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:18 am

I'd keep looking for a better one than this. ~Patrick

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:52 am

Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of the 3-way, either. If the 5 way is still pickups 1-2-3 and the in betweens in spots 2 and 4, then you'd expect tap/full out of 2 of the 3 positions, but what of the 3rd? Given that it's presumably a leaf-type "one thing" "2nd thing" "both things" switch, it doesn't really make a lot of sense.

I did just scope out a couple similar vintage F-100s and their 3-ways have the same hex nut (rather than knurled nut) attachment, though I've never seen a yellow/creme/white/amber tip (easily replaced, though...).

I re-read the ad and noticed it mentions having been insude the guitar: "We believe this G&L has a Maple Body, based on Weight & Grain from what little wood is visible inside Body Cavities," yet thre are no pics thereof...

Still, I've always kind of liked G&Ls that have been hotrodded with other G&L parts. Price actually wouldn't be so bad for that sort of "factory fantasy" aftermarket mod, if the guitar itself was in better shape. It looks like it's got a lot of miles on it.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:31 pm

kakerlak wrote:I did just scope out a couple similar vintage F-100s and their 3-ways have the same hex nut (rather than knurled nut) attachment, though I've never seen a yellow/creme/white/amber tip (easily replaced, though...).

As Craig already wrote, the toggle is in place of the bass blend. They wouldn't have done that at the factory. Instead a hole would have been drilled, and one of that mini switches, which are in the F-100 for coil splitting too, would have been used.

And I'd say it's a lot of money for that particular guitar, as at $ 999 the reserve isn't met and I expect it to be at $ 1199. ;)

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:46 pm

Miles Smiles wrote:
kakerlak wrote:I did just scope out a couple similar vintage F-100s and their 3-ways have the same hex nut (rather than knurled nut) attachment, though I've never seen a yellow/creme/white/amber tip (easily replaced, though...).

As Craig already wrote, the toggle is in place of the bass blend. They wouldn't have done that at the factory. Instead a hole would have been drilled, and one of that mini switches, which are in the F-100 for coil splitting too, would have been used.

And I'd say it's a lot of money for that particular guitar, as at $ 999 the reserve isn't met and I expect it to be at $ 1199. ;)

There is the possibility that it was an "employee built" one-off (possibly out the back door).
Hey HLG, if you see this: any chance you could check with Dale and see if it's in the G&L factory
Logbooks (SERIAL# G012490)?

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:47 pm

are the control plate and neckplate and trem cover all repainted as claimed? or is it black crinkle?
i never understand when a starting bid, a reserve and a buy it now are all in place, and so close to each other. it makes the seller seem unreasonable to me, a warning sign.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:52 pm

is this a special edition lunch report?

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:07 pm

louis cyfer wrote:are the control plate and neckplate and trem cover all repainted as claimed? or is it black crinkle?
i never understand when a starting bid, a reserve and a buy it now are all in place, and so close to each other. it makes the seller seem unreasonable to me, a warning sign.

They look stock to me and would be black crinkle powder coated. The seller gives the appearance of not being too knowledgeable on this model or G&L in general. It will be interesting to watch this auction and see what happens.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:08 pm

louis cyfer wrote:is this a special edition lunch report?

Doh, I moved this into the wrong forum. :oops:

After this post, I will put it where I intended it to go.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:13 pm

Craig wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:are the control plate and neckplate and trem cover all repainted as claimed? or is it black crinkle?

They look stock to me and would be black crinkle powder coated. The seller gives the appearance of not being too knowledgeable on this model or G&L in general. It will be interesting to watch this auction and see what happens.

no kidding.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:22 pm

how would the seller know that this is only 1 of 269 ever made? especially considering how much he doesn't.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:25 pm

louis cyfer wrote:how would the seller know that this is only 1 of 269 ever made? especially considering how much he doesn't.

The ad copy strikes me as an amalgam of hastily Googled info.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:28 pm

louis cyfer wrote:how would the seller know that this is only 1 of 269 ever made? especially considering how much he doesn't.

He googled and found our G&L Registry Rarebirds page and probably Greg Gagliano's website. Seller just did not read thorough enough.

My $0.02.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:29 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
i never understand when a starting bid, a reserve and a buy it now are all in place, and so close to each other.

I think ebay's fees are a little less if it is an auction style (with buy it now) vs. an auction that is buy it now only. ...just a guess.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Shouldn't the pickguard be of powder coated aluminum too?

At my 1985 S-500 it is (click to enlarge!):

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:21 pm

maybe, but i am sure modifying that pg would be a bit harder.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Miles Smiles wrote:Shouldn't the pickguard be of powder coated aluminum too?

At my 1985 S-500 it is (click to enlarge!):

Nope, see: Nighthawk Rarebird page and the Gallery Album: Nighthawk and Skyhawk models.

I've seen about a dozen different ones and they all had a plastic pickguard.

Hope this helps.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:41 pm

Craig wrote:
Miles Smiles wrote:Shouldn't the pickguard be of powder coated aluminum too?

Nope, see: Nighthawk Rarebird page and the Gallery Album: Nighthawk and Skyhawk models.

I've seen about a dozen different ones and they all had a plastic pickguard.

Hope this helps.

The PG looks a little bit tatered around the 'bucker in the bridge, compared to the middle and neck singles? It's not terrible, and the pictures aren't great, but I think it's a home job.

I agree that a look under the PG and control plate would probably be very enlightening. So who's got $1200ish so we can all take a look? :thumbup: