Need help - F100 in silver sparkle glitter finish?

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:07 pm

I've found a 1981 F-100 with a sparkle finish, but the seller is asking an above average price for this model. Would this color be considered rare for an F100? I can't seem to locate one in the registry either. The finish is similar to the ASATs on the front page of GGJaguar's G&L site.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by basscaster on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: F100 in silver sparkle glitter finish?

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:24 pm

I don't have an answer for you as to the color. I have never seen or heard of a silver sparkle original f-100. It's not one of the standard colors, but I can't say it's not original.

Hopefully you get answers from some of the more knowledgeable folks around.

For what it is worth, I think the mahogany F-100's are worth more than the ash!

jeremy

Re: Need help - F100 in silver sparkle glitter finish?

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks Jeremy. Agreed - I had a flamed mahogany F100 once that was incredible. Heavy, but beautiful. Look forward to any other replies as well.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:46 pm

Pretty sure the sparkle finishes were introduced in the early to mid 90's at the request of John Jorgenson (2 of the 3 sparkly guitars on the picture you reference are John Jorgenson Signatures produced in '95). I am not aware of this color being an option on the F-100, the production of which practically stopped in '83 (it was only available as special order until about '85). So my guess is that this guitar got refinished at a later period.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:03 pm

good to know. The seller seems to think it is original, but I've had my doubts. I'll probably check it out anyway - would be neat if it was a factory sparkle finish.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:30 pm

My '81 is a tank. It ways more than my ASAT Deluxe, that looks like a tank!

Check it out!

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:04 pm

ask if he'll pop the neck off for you and see what's in the pocket. sometimes you can tell the original color that way, sometimes not. but if the whole pocket is glitter i'd be a bit suspect. that way you'll also be able to see if there are any special markings in the pocket or on the neck butt. post some pics if you're able as that will help as well. good luck.