Old-style Asat string trees

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:40 am

Does anyone know whether G&L's will still fit the old-style headstock string-tree, the one like a bridge over the B&E, rather than the usual two-prong one or the disc?
I'm thinking how good it could be for bending behind the nut; no more wondering whether the string will come back at pitch or if it has dislocated from the tree sideways!

Failing this, I've always thought that a simple little solid block with two holes drilled through it, and a centre screw which would simply fit where a regular tree goes, would work well and look good. But I've never seen one at Stewmac or Allparts etc; any ideas?

Re: Old-style Asat string trees

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:44 am

You can always ask, but I don't think they've used the old metal string trees since the '80s. I like them b/c they grab the G string, too, not just the E and B. Sooner or later, somewhere in the world, I'm sure you could find one -- maybe by calling around some of the guys that have been G&L dealers for a long time. I know Craig's in Weatherford, TX used to have a decent stock of G&L parts back in the day.

I'm pretty positive you could order a new G&L w/o a string tree so that you could fit whatever you had in mind after the fact.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:48 am

Well, here's a scuzzy looking one for $50 on eBay :?

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:52 am

Another thought... You could get a 2nd "modern" style tree (pretty sure they're just Graphtec trees), sand both it and the original one down so the center post is flush with the rest of the tree, then glue them together (underside to underside). The only thing I'd wonder about is whether the Graphtec material would take to gluing, what with all its polymers, Teflons and whatnot.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:12 am

kakerlak wrote:Another thought... You could get a 2nd "modern" style tree (pretty sure they're just Graphtec trees), sand both it and the original one down so the center post is flush with the rest of the tree, then glue them together (underside to underside). The only thing I'd wonder about is whether the Graphtec material would take to gluing, what with all its polymers, Teflons and whatnot.

don't need to glue it. putting a spacer underneath and the screw from the top will hold it together just fine. of course why not just use staggered posts.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:22 pm

Good thoughts, thank you!