F-100 pickups

Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:38 am

I own a 1981 (manufactured in March) F-100. The white wire on my neck pickup is defective, preventing me from being able to use it in the humbucking mode. It works fine in single-coil mode. Does anyone know how I might be able to find a replacement neck pickup for it?

Re: F-100 pickups

Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:20 am

I had the same problem with mit '81 F-100 neck pickup. I got it rewound by a guy in Germany, who professionally creates and repairs pickups.
I sent him both pu's, because he had to have a reference and both were waxed and got 4 wires instead of 3, because I considered to have more options for a special circuit, but I didn't change the original one in the end.

I did pay the same price two Humbuckers would cost for rewinding, because he had to made him some tools, as the MFD has an uncommon format. As he surely kept the stuff, it should be cheaper for subsequent jobs. ;)

His website is http://www.leosounds.de/EN

The other option is to watch Ebay, every few years one appears. :)

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Popping this one back up as I never did check back on it after my original post and I've still not been able to get it repaired or find a replacement. It's astounding how unresponsive the folks at G&L are. I was thinking that I might be able to get a replacement directly from them considering the reissues a few years back that had the same MFD's in them. You'd think they have some extras laying around.

Anyone else ever had luck at getting replacement PU's for their F-100?

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Contact the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop, they should be able to fix the pickup. Jason Lollar would be another resource to check.

Bill

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:22 pm

you are in texas. call chris klein, he'll fix it for you. you don't want a new pup in an '81 f100. it might be a very small fix, or it maybe that one whole coil is dead and needs to be rewound.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:45 am

Got contact info for Chris Klein?

EDIT: Disregard. Google is quite helpful. :D

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:28 am

PeaElAre wrote:Got contact info for Chris Klein?

chris klein

Customer Service
(940) 380-1932 M-F 9:00am - 6:00pm CST.

Mailing Address

P.O. Box 610204, Dallas, TX 75261.

Manufacturing Center Address

122 Daugherty St. Suite 5, Denton, TX 76205.