Can you say customized?

Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:29 pm

Skyhawk w/ Kahler on the Bay. "Customization" looks like a cross between a Climax and who knows what. guess it gives good access to the upper frets. ;)

Re: Can you say customized?

Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:54 pm

Thats horrible. Removing that much mass from such a critical area can't be a good thing.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:51 am

Looks like a good idea if the neck has inserts for machined bolts.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:40 pm

That crosses the line between aesthetic appeal and functionality. Even finished flawlessly it is a tragic impact of the beauty of the guitar.........at least it is on the backside.........butt it looks like backside. :thumbdown:

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:38 pm

One man's customized is another man's mutilated...

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:44 pm

it looks like they kinda tried to do the suhr neck joint thing. i really like it for the accessibility, and visually i don't mind it, not visible from the front. i couldn't find it on the bay, i would have considered it, of course a deep discount for the "butchering".

Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:00 pm

climax:

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:22 am

jonc wrote:climax:

Well, when done right it is not that bad........good even. Notice the arc nestles in place and is harmonious with the horns.

The customizer guy on the other hand should have used a compass and router guide. The result looks like he used a sanding device of some type and all by eye?

Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:59 am

Aside from the body mangling, it looks like he reshaped the neck and stuck the new attachment screws well farther down than the originals. I wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot pole. There's no way that neck will remain stable. I doubt it would even stay in tune.

Ken

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:00 am

beautifully done. great job. obviously the routing was redone, looks like professionally at that. really looks like a washburn from the back

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:10 am

KenC wrote:Aside from the body mangling, it looks like he reshaped the neck and stuck the new attachment screws well farther down than the originals. I wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot pole. There's no way that neck will remain stable. I doubt it would even stay in tune.

Ken

both horns were reshaped for sure, i don't see where the neck was reshaped, but of course that doesn't mean it wasn't. i don't know about the stability. it could work. if the neck doesn't move it should stay in tune. especially if he left some of the other mounting screws in place under the plate.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:38 am

If you look closely you can see where the finish was removed from the neck, and it was reshaped to match the new contour of the pocket. The two dark spots on the neck were the original mounting screws (I just confirmed the locations relative to the lower horn on my Skyhawk). The four new screws are in the last 1.5" of the butt of the neck. That should put all of the stress from the strings in a very small bit of wood. It's also putting the screws pretty close to the end of the truss rod.

Ken

Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:25 pm

louis cyfer wrote:

beautifully done. great job. obviously the routing was redone, looks like professionally at that. really looks like a washburn from the back

that back "relief" was standard on all Climax guitars and basses and is one of the reasons why my Climax bass is my go-to, as it's a very comfortable instrument to play.