Very Low S/N F-100 Series 1

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:35 pm

Hello all, I'm new around here and am trying to get some information about an F-100 I have. I found it in my grandparents basement a few years ago, and it is in "good" condition. The guitar is a series 1 F-100 with maple neck and a clear-red body. Not sure on the type of wood. It appears to have had the three knurled knobs replaced with modern plastic knobs and is missing the back plate. Other than that it still has the tremolo nut and bar and appears to be all original otherwise. There are 4 or 5 knicks (about 1/4 inch diameter each) on the body. The neck is in great shape with no significant wear.

The kicker with this guitar is that the serial number is G000544. From what I can tell the first runs by G&L started at either 500 or 530, meaning that this is possibly either the 44th or 14th guitar that G&L ever produced.

Given that, I'm trying to figure out what it's worth to decide if I'd like to sell it or hang on to it. I don't really play it much, but brought it into a shop into earlier this week and had somebody play it (not plugged in) who said it all seemed to be in good shape. I'm not sure if all the electronics are in functional order. Any help or information would be appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Very Low S/N F-100 Series 1

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:05 pm

yo979 wrote:Hello all, I'm new around here and am trying to get some information about an F-100 I have. I found it in my grandparents basement a few years ago, and it is in "good" condition. The guitar is a series 1 F-100 with maple neck and a clear-red body. Not sure on the type of wood. It appears to have had the three knurled knobs replaced with modern plastic knobs and is missing the back plate. Other than that it still has the tremolo nut and bar and appears to be all original otherwise. There are 4 or 5 knicks (about 1/4 inch diameter each) on the body. The neck is in great shape with no significant wear.

The kicker with this guitar is that the serial number is G000544. From what I can tell the first runs by G&L started at either 500 or 530, meaning that this is possibly either the 44th or 14th guitar that G&L ever produced.

Given that, I'm trying to figure out what it's worth to decide if I'd like to sell it or hang on to it. I don't really play it much, but brought it into a shop into earlier this week and had somebody play it (not plugged in) who said it all seemed to be in good shape. I'm not sure if all the electronics are in functional order. Any help or information would be appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome! :wave:

First a few posts you should read first:

READ ME FIRST: guitarsbyleo.com History and G&LDP Guidelines

Tutorial: Posting photos

Serial number significance [Hint: it's not likely the 14th or 44th F-100 built ;) ]

Now, please post some photos of the front and back of this guitar. We should be able to tell you the body wood and which
model (F-100 or F-100E) it is.

You really should take it to someone (friend or guitar shop, who/which has an amp). Have them plug it into an amp and
check all the pickups, pots, switches to insure they are all working. See the Gallery, in the Album: Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics.
You will find the Album: F-100 and F-100E Instructions, which will tell you what all the switches do. Look at both instructions to determine which version you have.

For pricing, check eBay and Craig's List for both current and recent past sales. You also might consult the recently
updated Blue Book: Zachary Fjestads' Blue Book of Electric Guitars 13th edition. It has a recently updated G&L instruments section.

Once you decide on the selling price, please register it in our G&L Registry and then post a free Ad in our Marketplace.

Hope this helps.