Re: G&L Broadcaster on Ebay ~ Asleep at the Wheel

Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:50 pm

ARGH! ...My condolences Tim! ...You won't forget that one in a hurry. After suffering a couple of ebay wheel-sleeping episodes myself, I've set an "ebay auction" alarm up on my mobile.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Hey Tim,

Would you mind describing a little more about the guitar? I wanted to see what you were interested in but I could not pull up any G&L's sold for $743 looking through the completed auctions. Sometimes the seller yanks the information. I don't know how they could be allowed to do that unless the item sold outside of ebay before the auction had its run.

This one just sold for $842.32

BTW, I feel your pain.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:45 pm

Michael-GnL-Michael wrote:This one just sold for $842.32

Strange, I watched all the G&L auctions in the last time, but didn't see that one. But clearly it's because that "G & L" is written somehow wrong.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:49 am

Miles,

The title/descriptions can get in the way. I have discovered a few I missed after I had been watching routinely. I just did a search for "G&L guitar" and checked the Completed Auctions box. This Broadcaster comes up. It helps to sort them from lowest to highest. Even that is not perfect because it does not produce all of the items in an increasing list. It jumps back midway sometimes probably because of the different descriptions. In this case I don't think the space in G & L mattered. I think it may have lost some relevance because most formats go more like "G&L ASAT..." or "G&L Legacy..." while this one starts with "nice 1980's..." "NICE 1980's G & L Broadcaster Electric Guitar Telecaster Tele (Leo Fender)." If you are looking for a specific guitar like "G&L Broadcaster" this is one of only two that come up.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:17 am

Your right. It shows up even with my search pattern in the completed auctions. So I simply did overlook. :-(

But you never know if you would have got it for 10 $ more or if the winner was prepared for another 1000 $. ;-)

Especially, if the same guitar shows up soon again, you know there's a "hidden reserve" done with a second Ebay account.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:02 am

Miles Smiles wrote:Your right. It shows up even with my search pattern in the completed auctions. So I simply did overlook. :-(

But you never know if you would have got it for 10 $ more or if the winner was prepared for another 1000 $. ;-)

Especially, if the same guitar shows up soon again, you know there's a "hidden reserve" done with a second Ebay account.

if it shows up on the same account, you can prove schill bidding, and the guitar can be yours. i mean whoever bid on it and didn't get it but was the runner up. in the least ebay will discipline the seller.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:30 am

Yes, you could fight for your won auction, but a good deal is only a good deal, if both sides are happy. At least the seller may always claim the article got damaged, stolen or something like this.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:46 pm

I have wondered whether that could be going on sometimes. I know that in email correspondences sellers have mentioned they have more than one ebay account. How can ebay keep track if they allow people to have more than one? What about 10? Or a brother or friend or remote relative in another state nudging up a bid to squeeze more out of legitimate bidders? The higher the sale $ the more ebay collects.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:02 pm

Michael-GnL-Michael wrote:I have wondered whether that could be going on sometimes. I know that in email correspondences sellers have mentioned they have more than one ebay account. How can ebay keep track if they allow people to have more than one? What about 10? Or a brother or friend or remote relative in another state nudging up a bid to squeeze more out of legitimate bidders? The higher the sale $ the more ebay collects.

that is schill bidding and is considered highly illegal. if an account places bids mostly on the same few accounts and when winning the bid gets canceled often, ebay will catch it too, but if it gets reported the owner of those accounts can get in serious trouble with ebay.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:50 pm

Thanks Louis.

In case anyone is interested: ebay's policy on shill bidding