Need help pricing a stolen G&L prototype

Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:38 pm

Hey, gang.

I need to come up with a market value estimate for my insurance company. My G&L prototype, circa 1986, was stolen from my recording studio in South Austin last month. After combing the pawn shops, eBay, and craigslist, I've finally resorted to filing a claim.
It was purchased in Dallas back around 1986. Somehow, this little music shop in Prestonwood Mall got a hold of a number of G&L prototypes. I think that the one I purchased was what later became the Invader, but I could be wrong. I paid around $1000 for it at the time. It has a natural finish; no name, just "G&L" on the headstock; Kahler Tremelo; no pick guard; two single coils and a humbucker, each with it's own on/off switch.

Anyway, I'm hoping I can get some advice from you more knowledgeable guitar aficionados on what the market value may be.

Thanks so much for any input.

Re: Need help pricing a stolen G&L prototype

Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:07 pm

My hunch is that the insurance company will only give you the replacement cost of an Invader of the same vintage, more or less. The Invader came out mid-80s so I think they'll just go with that info unless you have documentation that it was a prototype per se and that the documentation can be appraised.

Anyway, wish I could be more help .... sorry for the loss and I hope it works out.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks for the reply. For some reason, they are asking me to come up with a price for it, but I'm sure they'll need to verify it somehow. Unfortunately, all the documentation burned up in an apartment fire back in 1989. Fortunately, I was at band practice when the fire started, so I had the guitar with me. I sure miss it now, though. I see someone is selling a double neck prototype on eBay from the same time period... too rich for my blood, though.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:30 pm

Earlier this year, a 1984 prototype of the Skyhawk designed by Leo Fender and George Fullerton (but with a factory synth) went for $2500 on an online auction.