How much do you think this is worth?

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:46 am

Not sure if this is the best sub-forum to to post this but here goes.
I am not planning on selling this guitar but have been wondering about how to set a value for insurance purposes. This is the SC-1 in my avatar.

With all the modifications, it is probably not worth as much to a G&L collector as an unmolested example.

Here's the history:
After a hiatus of a few years I decided to get back into electric guitars. I got to know a local dealer who was one of the first G&L reps in the area. He had taken three different SC-1s and added a different brand humbucker to each of them. Mine had a Seymour Duncan '59. For some reason he had them positioned as a 'middle' pickup, rather than in the traditional neck position. At this point there still was no pickguard. After a few years I got tired of the mismatch in balance between the two pickups (the HB being quite a bit hotter) and also having always been a 2 HB player, I had a Duncan JB added to the bridge, and the mid '59 pickup moved up closer to the neck where it should have been originally. Due to all the routing on the body, I had a pickguard fabricated to cover all the work. I also had a push-pull switch added to the tone knob to split the coils. I also had the output jack moved from the front to the edge of the body.

So anyway, was just trying to get opinions on what the value of this one of a kind oddity would be.

Thanks for any input.

Re: How much do you think this is worth?

Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:46 pm

I would guess it's market value to be 350-400 dollars.

...but I bet it still sounds like a million bucks : )
(love those big fret markers on the early G&L's )

Elwood