Early 80's SC-2 Question for the masses!

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:17 am

I recently acquired an early 80's SC-2, just like the one I had, well, in the early 80's! I have looked forever for this guitar and noticed that these SC-2's are REALLY hard to find! I had forgotten how amazing they sounded and much fun they were to play! Now I usually play Gretsch and have gotten very comfortable over the years adjusting my own guitars to my own preference and I am also blessed with an amazing tech nearby that has no problem saying "what have you done now?" and teaching me when I do run into something I can't do. However, on the SC-2 I have run into a problem that I have not encountered before. The action is fine at the nut, but it gets extremely high as you move up the fretboard. The neck isn't warped out or anything. In fact, it is a wonderful, straight neck. The saddles at the bridge are as low as they can go but the action is still just very high at the upper frets. My guess is a neck tilt or shims are in order. Only, I have never done that! With the expertise that I have seen on this board, do you guys think that is the problem?

I will take it in to him today, but I just thought I would get your thoughts in an effort to learn something new and to introduce myself to the board! Thanks!

Re: Early 80's SC-2 Question for the masses!

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:58 am

imsharris wrote:I recently acquired an early 80's SC-2, just like the one I had, well, in the early 80's! I have looked forever for this guitar and noticed that these SC-2's are REALLY hard to find! I had forgotten how amazing they sounded and much fun they were to play! Now I usually play Gretsch and have gotten very comfortable over the years adjusting my own guitars to my own preference and I am also blessed with an amazing tech nearby that has no problem saying "what have you done now?" and teaching me when I do run into something I can't do. However, on the SC-2 I have run into a problem that I have not encountered before. The action is fine at the nut, but it gets extremely high as you move up the fretboard. The neck isn't warped out or anything. In fact, it is a wonderful, straight neck. The saddles at the bridge are as low as they can go but the action is still just very high at the upper frets. My guess is a neck tilt or shims are in order. Only, I have never done that! With the expertise that I have seen on this board, do you guys think that is the problem?

I will take it in to him today, but I just thought I would get your thoughts in an effort to learn something new and to introduce myself to the board! Thanks!

Check out the G&L Owners manual in our Gallery.
It has setup instructions for your guitar.

Hope this helps.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:48 pm

No shim necessary. Just use the micro-tilt feature (it's the last step in the setup instructions). Just be sure you don't crank on the neck screws after you've applied the tilt.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:26 pm

Thanks guys! Got it dialed in and this thing plays like a dream!!!