Re: Ever play a long lost friend?

Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:39 am

I'm going through a similar thing with my first guitar that I haven't touched for about 2 years. Not a G&L though, just a pawn shop Australian strat copy that I heavily modified to my taste... I'm discovering my past experimental modifications were better than I expected! (Still not as good as my Legacy, but it just has a little "something" special).

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:39 pm

Same here but funnily enough not a G&L. Practically, I have only been playing ASAT's of all different kinds over the last one and a half year or so. Every time another became 'guitar of the week' it was always fun to get reacquainted. But I recently pulled out my PRS Sunburst 245 and after having played single coils for so long, the whole experience was amplified. Came at the perfect moment while learning Waddy Wachtel's nifty guitar work on 'Lonely Boy' by Andrew Gold, who unfortunately passed away earlier this month. Made me realize again why I love this particular brand of set neck guitars.

- Jos

Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:49 am

I have favorites that I normally play but often I grab another that I haven't played for some time and I always feel that way. Everyone is a special friend.---Darwin

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:39 am

Oh, all the time. With 48 guitars, I rotate through them, but it still takes a while. Everytime I open up a case, it's like Christmas. I realize I am so blessed. I have some wonderful guitars.

Bill

TMG Syndrome

Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:43 am

Tim, I'm afraid you have TMG syndrome - Too Many Guitars. I will help you get through this tough time.

From this point on, feel free to send me all your guitars that go unused for more than 3 months. I'll put them to good use out here in Asheville.

I'm here to help, Tim. That's what friends are for.

Will Ray

Re: TMG Syndrome

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:14 am

helle-man wrote:Tim, I'm afraid you have TMG syndrome - Too Many Guitars. I will help you get through this tough time.

From this point on, feel free to send me all your guitars that go unused for more than 3 months. I'll put them to good use out here in Asheville.

I'm here to help, Tim. That's what friends are for.

Will Ray

Well, don't own enough guitars to identify ,but for some reason after reading Will's comment i had an uncontrolable urge to stick "The Return of The Hellcasters" from 1993 into the CD player. :mrgreen:
Great stuff !! :clap:

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:50 am

i have a beat to <censored word> LP with P90's that for the most part sits in the closet. but every once in a while i plug it in and remember why i will never get rid of it. while i like my G&L's more for their flexibility and prefer single coils to hummers (except Leo hummers like on the Cav), sometimes the grind and voice of a P90 (although a single coil it's pretty thick sounding) is just the ticket and the way the guitar plays, feels and sounds says "home."

Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:49 pm

I only own 2 guitars, my 3rd will be here in about 2 weeks time though. I go on stints when I don't play bass for a week or 3 occasionally. I love coming back to my bass though. That thing is a piece of work for sure. Only instrument in my stable I have not modified in any way. My incoming is so decked out it won't need mods either, which makes me a happy camper.

If you get too bogged down Will, I am more than happy to give you a hand. My small stable makes me an excellent guitar cycler.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:27 pm

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:Usually I rotate my guitars, but for some reason my G&L Broadcaster sat unplayed in the case for a while. Today I took it down to the shop and plugged in before the store opened and the usual crowd flows in.

Boy, it's like finding a long lost friend. Makes one wonder why it wasn't pulled out sooner!

Anyone else ever have that experience?

Tim

Tim, maybe a bit late on this (by over a year? /laughs) but yes just experienced the same thing, also with a Broadcaster(!), although not quite in the same way:

10 years ago I obtained a Broadcaster for the sole reason of owning an instrument with Leo's 'mystique' and 'aura' directly embedded within it, and while I don't particularly care for Tele type guitars and even already owned a few Leo-era Strat-type G&L's (F100, Nighthawk, Skyhawk) it was mainly the neck pocket inspection sticker is why I got it. When it arrived I basically played it a bit to make sure it was stable, popped the neck to photograph the inspection sticker, reassembled, and then put it away into storage as a 'collectible'.

Fast forwards to this past weekend when I became curious about what gems may be lurking in storage, and so dragged out the ol' Broadcaster for a quick spin around the block .. a 'quick spin' which lasted some 7 hours of eye-popping amazement at what I had been missing out on for 10 years!

This Broadcaster is solid all the way, from its tight precise fret action to its tight tonalities in every pickup position, small tweak of a knob completely changes its tone, with sustain to die for. WOW! What took me so long to discover this gem ???

Guess I may be in the market for a similar Leo-era ASAT now ... /laughs ... any suggestions, Tim ???

Rock On,
Tommy V

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Tom Valentine wrote:Guess I may be in the market for a similar Leo-era ASAT now ... /laughs ... any suggestions, Tim ???

Tom, there just happens to be one in the marketplace right now with your name on it!......... :banana: It even looks like a Broadcaster!