Amp for my 1987 ASAT

Wed May 25, 2011 2:04 am

Hi foks, I'm looking for a new amp for my 87 ASAT. I've got a small 5w valve that I built myself from an Ampmaker kit , fantastic sound, but it's really just a practice amp. I was looking at a couple of 2nd hands recently... Vox AC15C1, Fender Super 60, Fender Hotrod Deluxe... I've tried a hot rod before and it sounded great. Any experience of the others. I had a Laney LC16 VR before and the ASAT really didnt get on with it :crazy:
cheers
john

Re: Amp for my 1987 ASAT

Wed May 25, 2011 3:13 am

I can certainly vouch for the Vox ac15's... I haven't tried them with an ASAT though, but the amp absolutely loves all 4 of my G&L's. Great crunchy distortion to sweet chiming cleans.

Wed May 25, 2011 7:43 pm

+1 on OffPlanet's comments.

I have an AC15C1 and can vouch for it sounding stupendous with an ASAT. The Greenback speaker and dual channels (normal/top boost) provide a great variety of clean and dirty tones. The relatively high output of the ASAT MFD's make the amp break up earlier than standard tele pickups on the normal channel.

My only other comment is that it is LOUD! I haven't taken mine past 1/2 way on the master volume without someone telling me to turn it down. Be prepared to put some new tubes in it because the original tubes are pretty cheap and nasty (mine rattled) though they did sound OK while they worked.

Thu May 26, 2011 1:43 am

I would personally avoid the Super 60 like it had the plague.

You might want to think about a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, or even a vintage silver-faced model. The Fender Custom Shop Vibrolux is another favorite of mine; and the SuperSonic is another popular Fender.

Mesa amps are my personal favorites, so I could recommend an F-30 or F50; a Nomad 45 or 50; DC-3 or DC-5--or even a Mark III. (Look for one with Reverb, EQ, and the Simul-Class option.)

Good luck!

Bill

Thu May 26, 2011 2:50 am

+1 For the Fender Deluxe Reberb reissue. Just love the sound my 1990 ASAT gives me.

I also have a Fender Super 210 (Same as the Super60, but 2 x 10" speakers) Definatly doesn't have the "pop" I can get out od the Deluxe Reverb

Sun May 29, 2011 5:23 am

cheers guys! the amp is primarily for my business www.oneyedog.co.uk but I get to use it too!! I'll let you know how it pans out. thanks for the info
john

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:43 am

Hey guys... went for the Vox AC15C1. sounds great, just need to get to grips with the setupnow!! any tips on the crunch settings?
john :mrgreen:

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:04 pm

Congrats on your purchase John!

The normal channel on an AC15C1 will break up eventually if you wind the gain to somewhere between 12 and 3 o'clock. You'll have to turn the master volume down though otherwise the neighbours will complain. :D

All the crunch and overdrive goodness is on the Top Boost channel IMO. Plus you get extra bass/treble tone controls to tame some of the added brightness on the top boost channel. The controls are very interactive, so the key is to experiment to find out how one control affects another.

The AC15 is a bright little amp. For single coil guitars I usually run my Treble Cut at somewhere around 3 o'clock, and around 12 o'clock for humbuckers.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:55 pm

I know I'm weighing in late here, but I've just done some amp shopping with my "new" '88 ASAT in hand. I tried a USA Blues Junior and a silverface Champ. They both sounded so good that I had to figure out a way to horse trade for the pair. Both amps have great clean sparkle, but the Blues Jr. also breaks up nicely without any problem (even at living room volumes). FWIW, I did not particularly like the sound of the ASAT through my Jazz Chorus (just too strident), although my ASAT Classic and Strat-type G&Ls are gorgeous through that amp.