80s ASAT question

Mon May 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Sorry for a basic question, but I can't find a published answer anywhere. I have what looks to be an '88 ASAT inbound from a distant Guitar Center. It doesn't have a case and there are none in that store that fit it well, so I need to order one to have it shipped in. I can't get a good answer from the store on how long the instrument is (end of the body to the tip of the headstock). If anybody with an ASAT of that same vintage would post a measurement, I would greatly appreciate it. My '98 ASAT Classic fits in a standard Tele replacement case, but all of my 80s G&Ls are about 3/4 of an inch too long.

Thanks!

Ken

Re: 80s ASAT question

Mon May 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Hey Ken,

Just happened to have these out and did quick measurement:
87' ASAT - 38 3/4"
Mutt ASAT ('88 neck and unknown body) - 38 3/4"

As far as cases I have the '87 in MF tweed case and fits fine. The mutt is in an old G&L case. Have a ASAT Deluxe in a generic tolex case that fits well. I would go with the 38 3/4" length to be sure.

Mon May 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Ken, I am surprised if the 98 fits correctly in the Tele case. It probably fits but I will bet that the top of the headstock is very close to the aluminum strip. I have checked several and the only thing that I would put my G&Ls in are G&L cases. The guitars are longer and the G&L case will fit very well and prevent damage to the very top of the headstock. My opinion for what it is worth.-- Darwin.

Wed May 11, 2011 9:45 am

Thanks for the responses! I did eventually get in touch with the repair tech at that store, who measured it just shy of 39". SKB has a "universal" molded case with a 39" interior, so I'm going to go with that. I'm really picky about having good neck support, and judging from the pictures this one seemed reasonable.

Darwin, I'm traveling this week, but when I get back home I will double check the length on the '98 ASAT Classic. The case is non-original, fits the guitar like a glove, and is distinctly shorter than any of my Leo-era instruments' cases. I've tried swapping the cases around before when new instruments have joined the harem, and none of the Leo-eras fit the '98's case.

Ken