The Search is over! NGD!

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:29 pm

After searching the net daily for the past year for an original Rampage, the search is finally over! I found a cream colored Rampage, that I believe by checking G&L's serial numbers, to be a 1986. The guitar is all original and came with all the case candy. The seller was the original owner and told me that it has been in the case under a bed for years. He claimed it only had about 20 hours playing time. I was skeptical about that, but the photo's looked good and we struck a deal.

The guitar arrived today, and when I opened the case it was like opening a vault... The guitar was dead mint!!! Not a scratch, or even a swirl mark. The was no rust or oxidation on any of the screws or hardware. The setup was absolutely perfect! The finish had yellowed over the years to a nice vintage color. I never in a million years believed I would find one in this condition. Needless to say, Dave is a happy man!

Pictures coming....

Dave

Re: The Search is over! NGD!

Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:00 pm

Congrats!!! Sounds like that Rampage was an AWESOME find. I bought mine about 6 or 8 months ago (a 1985, same color as yours), and it is the best playing guitar I've ever owned. Now let's see those pics!

Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:21 am

Congratulations!

It is great to hear that finds like this still exist.

And as was mentioned, we need pics!

I also have a question. Is a Rampage essentially the same guitar as a Superhawk, except with only one pickup?

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks! Yes the The Rampage, Superhawk and Invader are the same guitars. G&l's superstrat models. The difference's are the pickups and tone controls. The biggest difference to me is the oiled neck on the Rampage. I love the bare wood feel on the Rampage.

It's funny, I was looking at the price and spec sheets of the original early 80's San Dimas Charvels the other day. G&L's superstrats are basically the same guitars. Same specs, same woods, fretboard, and neck profiles and radius. The early Charvels even had the oiled neck option like the Rampage. To order a San Dimas Charvel with the same specs as a Rampage in 1982 would have cost $1064 without a case! I bought my original Rampage new in 1986 for around $600 with case. I love the old Southern California hot rod guitars back then. They looked so cool. But I think G&L blew them out of the water. Too bad they didn't catch on!

Dave

Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Here are some pics for those interested!

Dave

Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:39 pm

For some reason the photo's are cutting off the sides. Here's a link to my album.
http://s1139.photobucket.com/albums/n556/GLrampage/

Dave

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:53 pm

nice!! is the neck good? i am a G&L convert because the necks are to die for.

dig the locking trem. all in all a sweet axe

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Looks fantastic Dave. It looks brand new - great find!

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:03 am

RampageFan wrote:For some reason the photo's are cutting off the sides. Here's a link to my album.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I fixed your image posts. There were extra (and incomplete) img code.

I looked at your photobucket album and these images look the same on the page here.

Wow, look's like it just came from the factory! :thumbup:

Enjoy. :sign0011:

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:04 am

Craig wrote:
RampageFan wrote:For some reason the photo's are cutting off the sides. Here's a link to my album.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I fixed your image posts. There was extra (and incomplete) img code.

I looked at your photobucket album and these images look the same on the page here.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:45 pm

guitarman_nebr wrote:nice!! is the neck good? i am a G&L convert because the necks are to die for.

dig the locking trem. all in all a sweet axe

Yes the neck is sweet! That's my favorite part. That and the great workmanship that G&L's known for. I am planning to post a comparison between my '86 and my Tribute Rampage with sound clips. I would like to debunk some myths that I've read on other boards about the new Rampage's being junk compared to the original. To me the only difference between the old and new is the thinner neck on the old ones. IMO, the new Rampage's are great guitars also.

Dave

Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:47 pm

Craig wrote:

Dave

Hi Dave,

I fixed your image posts. There were extra (and incomplete) img code.

Thanks Craig! For some reason, when I'm signed on to GBL, the photo's are cut off. When I'm reading the board without logging on, the photo's are ok.

Thanks again,
Dave

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:18 pm

That's Great
Congrats