L-1000 Volume Question, and more

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:37 am

I have an '81 L-1000 whose tone is perfect for me. However, it is quiet. My 300w Ampeg has to be cranked, as well as the vol. knob on the bass, to get the sound out. My recent SB-2 on the other hand, is loud, loud, loud. If I plug it in after the L-1000, it'll quake the neighbors. What would it take to louden the ol' fella? Also, using the coil-splitting switch seems to have little effect on the tone, exc. that I can tell when it's inadvertently in single-coil mode, because of the hum. There are three positions for that little switch. What do they do?

Thanks,

Rob

Re: L-1000 Volume Question, and more

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:48 pm

a properly working L1K should be rocking the house so it sounds like you have either a wiring issue, bad pickup, or both. there should be a schematic in the knowledge base and various postings on the web. the 3 positions in my experience are single coil, single coil with bass boost and my favorite, OMG Humbucking.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/g-l-l1000-toggle-confusion-643070/index4.html

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Cinder wrote:I have an '81 L-1000 whose tone is perfect for me. However, it is quiet. My 300w Ampeg has to be cranked, as well as the vol. knob on the bass, to get the sound out. My recent SB-2 on the other hand, is loud, loud, loud. If I plug it in after the L-1000, it'll quake the neighbors. What would it take to louden the ol' fella? Also, using the coil-splitting switch seems to have little effect on the tone, exc. that I can tell when it's inadvertently in single-coil mode, because of the hum. There are three positions for that little switch. What do they do?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob,

We have a copy of the L-1000 and L-2000E Instructions 2 page sheet in the Gallery. Here's the page for the switch settings:

You also might check Ken Baker's The Official G&L Bass Support Forum at http://www.bassesbyleo.com. It covers all things regarding G&L basses, past and present.

Best of luck getting this resolved.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:23 am

Thanks jonc & Craig. OMG Humbucker is a great way of expressing that tone! You could also call those other two settings the "why bothers?". :D This neck is fantastic, the tone simply immense....

Here's a weirdness. Last night at practice the volume was way better than it was at Sunday's practice. There is no crackling, popping, static, or "dead spots' while playing, so a short seems a bit unlikely. It might also be that that since the amp is near the rhythm guitarist he's just messing with me by pressing the "limiter" switch, or some other such evil.

I'll cruise both of you all's suggested links and learn more.

Thanks,

Rob