G&L f100 odd tremolo arm socket

Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:45 pm

I recently picked up an old f100 series II. It came with what I assume is the original case, which had some allen wrenches and a vibrato arm. The arm is threaded at the end, but the inside of the arm socket isn't threaded at all. It also doesn't have any sort of saddle hex screw lock like I've seen in other G&Ls with the dual fulcam bridge. The arm just falls out of the socket like nothing. Is there a way to keep the arm more snuggly fit in the socket, and did the hex lock come later? I'll try and get some pictures up, I've already taken off the neck and the neck stamp is an 83 and the body is 82.

Re: G&L f100 odd tremolo arm socket

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi ducttape,

Did you verify the socket is not threaded deeper down for the arm to be screwed in to? Otherwise is looks like either the thread is shod or the bridge has been replaced. Does the S/N appear on the bridge? Or is it just stamped 'G&L'? And if not on the bridge, where do you find the S/N? The neck plate? For the given age of the guitar, the S/N should still be on the bridge as you can read in thhe Serial number significance in the Knowledgebase.

- Jos

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:24 pm

G&L f100 odd tremolo arm socket
I recently picked up an old f100 series II. It came with what I assume is the original case, which had some allen wrenches and a vibrato arm. The arm is threaded at the end, but the inside of the arm socket isn't threaded at all. It also doesn't have any sort of saddle hex screw lock like I've seen in other G&Ls with the dual fulcam bridge. The arm just falls out of the socket like nothing. Is there a way to keep the arm more snuggly fit in the socket, and did the hex lock come later? I'll try and get some pictures up, I've already taken off the neck and the neck stamp is an 83 and the body is 82.

I could have sworn that years ago, people here mentioned using a replacement trem arm designed for an older model Fender guitar could be used for the F-100. I can't remember which model, though (Mustang?).

Looking around here, I found this which could be of help. It looks like the arm isn't supposed to be threded (I assumed that at first, but this confirms that). So, maybe the trem arm you have isn't correct?
1983 Nighthawk Vibrato Arm

In that article is what I'd read about years ago, restated by Craig.
I need a tremelo arm, do you know where I can get one?

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:37 pm

Hi, I've taken the entire thing apart and looking down the trem socket it's just a smooth bore, the S/N is on the bridge. I just took some pictures and will try and figure out how to put them on here.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:47 pm

ducttape wrote:Hi, I've taken the entire thing apart and looking down the trem socket it's just a smooth bore, the S/N is on the bridge. I just took some pictures and will try and figure out how to put them on here.

For posting photos see: READ ME FIRST: guitarsbyleo.com History and G&LDP Guidelines.

Hope this helps.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:07 pm

The album with more images that I figured weren't relevant.
http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd5 ... 1QQtppZZ24

Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Does the available arm socket in the G&L store fit old bridges? I'm not really sure how the arm socket in mine is missing the screw lock unless it's unoriginal.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:04 pm

ducttape wrote:Does the available arm socket in the G&L store fit old bridges? I'm not really sure how the arm socket in mine is missing the screw lock unless it's unoriginal.

Yes, the one in On-Line store will fit your bridge. Don't forget you will also need a replacement vibrato arm, too.
Here's the one to get: Vibrato arm for USA G&L.

I'd say that the arm socket yours currently has is not original.

BTW, here's a link to Leo's patent: D4671157 on this vibrato assembly, which we have in the Gallery.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated G&L On-Line Store link

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:15 pm

Thanks, I think I'll get a new one from the store.