1987 Asat pickup swap

Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:03 am

Hi folks. I have a 1987 Asat which I love, the actual guitar is wonderful but I'd really like a more "tele" sound from it!! (probably upset a few saying this.... sorry!!!) I've read about the Rio Grande pup's as swap outs... any thoughts or experience swapping the original G&L pups? Folk have said just buy a tele!!! I have one but I love the neck and body of the G&L!!!!!!
cheers
john

Re: 1987 Asat pickup swap

Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:44 am

If you must ........ :), have you thought about having them rewound? I know Fralin would do that, and fairly resonably for the $$s, too. Not sure if Lollar would rewind.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:07 am

I'm assuming you have an ASAT Special with the bigger MFD pickups.

My advice is NO, don't swap them out. You'll devalue the guitar, especially a 1987 pre BBE one.

I don't even know what a typical "Tele" is supposed to sound like anymore, because there are so many variations on it, even on Fenders.

I would keep the ASAT as it is and buy a different guitar and if necessary experiment with pickups on that one, not the ASAT.

My 2¢
Will Ray

Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:55 am

ha -ha....... I think that's what I wanted to hear!! I keep teling myself to get my own sound from this great guitar... so.. I will !!! cheers
john