Old style head stock

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:43 am

When was the head stock configuration changed and why? I have a SB1 I just obtained with the old style non pointy look, I think it looks much better.

Re: Old style head stock

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:00 am

Hi! Can any body help me with this one? Was it a legal issue that made them change the headstock? Is there a history page that goes into some detail about that? thanks Pete

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:54 am

There are a few different head stocks, but the first, like that on the original the f-100 etc ended in 1983.

http://www.glguitars.com/chronology/index2.asp

cheers, jg

Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:48 pm

It is definitely harder to find a case that will fit guitars with the older headstocks. I'm wondering if you'll find that G&L changed case manufacturers around 1983.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Submersible wrote:It is definitely harder to find a case that will fit guitars with the older headstocks. I'm wondering if you'll find that G&L changed case manufacturers around 1983.

Here's some info on G&L cases used over the years:

Instrument Cases in our Gallery.
G&L Deluxe Hardshell Tolex Case w/Fitted Interior post in the G&L Knowledgebase.

The new Tolex case for the F-100 will work for the original F-100's and the original
old body style S-500's (1988 - 1991), as well. You should be able to order one of the
new cases from your favorite G&L dealer.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated which original models will fit in the new F-100 Tolex case.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:22 am

That definitely helps me, I am in the market for a case for my Original f-100!

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Cool.

Slight rant for sec: 2 out of 2 of my original 90s era G&L cases developed funky internal "boils" for lack of a better work and obnoxious chemical/maple syrup odors. It takes about 10 years before you'll notice it, though. I've read it's the glue or something that was used.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:47 pm

Submersible wrote:Cool.

Slight rant for sec: 2 out of 2 of my original 90s era G&L cases developed funky internal "boils" for lack of a better work and obnoxious chemical/maple syrup odors. It takes about 10 years before you'll notice it, though. I've read it's the glue or something that was used.

Is that a Plastic case or a Tolex case? BTW, all new US G&L instruments come with the new Deluxe Tolex case, see my post above.