1991 SB 2 Bass- How are the controls set up?

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi everyone. I won a G&L SB 2 on an eBay auction a few months ago and it's now my primary bass. The serial number dates it to 1991. I have a question about the controls. My understanding is that the SB 2 model has two volume controls, and no tone control. This one doesn't seem to work that way. The front control works as a volume, and the back control works more like a tone, although the variance is minimal. I've done all the possible combination's using the control and the 3-way switch. I also pulled off the pick guard, and didn't see any broken or disconnected wiring. Did G&L change the configuration for this model somewhere along the line? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: 1991 SB 2 Bass- How are the controls set up?

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:21 pm

Something is odd here.

Going by the year you spec, 1991, this should be the modern version of the SB-2 with a P-J pickup config and V-V controls with no tone control. Yet the control layout you describe is for the earlier mid-80s version with a pair of single coil MFD pickups. Here's an '84 from GGJaguar's site:

http://www.ggjaguar.com/sb-2-84.htm

Here's an '89 SB-2, also from GGJaguar's site:

http://www.ggjaguar.com/sb-2-89.htm

Mine is from April of 93.

Could you post an image or two? Headstock showing lettering and a body shot would be helpful.

Also, the serial number is not a reliable way to get an accurate manufacturing date. The best way is to pull the neck and check dates found there. Like this:

Ken...

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:30 pm

Ken- Thanks for the quick response. I'm brand new to the forum and can't figure out how to upload a picture. Here's a URL from MF; mine has this headstock shape with the sharp point between the D&G string. Image. Mine looks like your body picture, (with the split P and the J PU), but mine has a 3-way switch between the controls. Do you think it's aftermarket work? Also, I'm hesitant to take the neck off; it plays really well and I don't have any neck experience outside of doing normal truss/set-up adjustments.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:46 pm

Ken- Sorry, here's the MF url that shows what my headstock looks like.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com ... 16197#used
Thanks!
Hurricane Jimmie

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Hurricane Jimmie wrote:Ken- Thanks for the quick response. I'm brand new to the forum and can't figure out how to upload a picture. Here's a URL from MF; mine has this headstock shape with the sharp point between the D&G string.

That sharp point is part of the G&L headstock shape.

The image tags you tried to use work, but only with URLs to image files.

Mine looks like your body picture, (with the split P and the J PU), but mine has a 3-way switch between the controls. Do you think it's aftermarket work?

It's a mod of some kind, that's for certain. Who & where is anyone's guess. With a 3-way switch (Blade? Like a Strat?), you may have an early SB-2 or Lynx circuit. There's really no way of knowing without diving in.

Also, I'm hesitant to take the neck off; it plays really well and I don't have any neck experience outside of doing normal truss/set-up adjustments.

I understand entirely. If you ever do take it off, be sure to note the dates found and maybe get pics.

Ken...

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi Hurricane Jimmy,

I totally can sympathize with your reluctance to mock around with the set-up. But may you ever decide to take off the neck, then these directions have worked very well for me.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:11 am

Ken/Joe- Thanks for the information and photos (you must be very proud of the George Fullerton signature!). And yes, that's what my headstock looks like. I also have a 1981 L 2000, with the original 'smoother' headstock. I'll post some pictures after I do some G&LDP V2.0 homework. I've got a buddy who does set-ups for a local music store, maybe he'll help me take it apart and get some photos of what we're dealing with.
Thanks again and hope to speak to you soon.
Hurricane Jimmie

Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:49 am

Mystery is solved. Looks like my SB2 has been modified somewhere along the line to One Volume, One Tone, and a 3-Way toggle switch between the two knobs. My guitar-repair buddy says he can change it back to original for me when I'm ready.....I think I'll keep it this way for a while. I'm very comfortable with the PBass volume/tone set-up. Thanks for all your advice.