Roland Synth prototype Skyhawk

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:35 am

I have just learned this is the real deal. Really cool!
http://cgi.ebay.com/G-L-Skyhawk-Synth-Prototype_W0QQitemZ320668114981QQcategoryZ33034QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7584533888210341009#ht_720wt_1139

Re: Roland Synth prototype Skyhawk

Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:03 pm

yoeleven wrote:I have just learned this is the real deal. Really cool!
http://cgi.ebay.com/G-L-Skyhawk-Synth-Prototype_W0QQitemZ320668114981QQcategoryZ33034QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7584533888210341009#ht_720wt_1139

Hey Andy,

I have been trying to find out the history behind this one, too. Who confirmed that it's the real deal?

Inquiring minds want to know :searching:

Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:31 pm

My Secret Santa sent this to me......

Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:45 pm

Gabe confirmed it, he said he had a zillion e-mails when it hit the bay, Not worth that kinda coin though, maybe 5K to the right guy, if I was into that sort of thing I might go 3K and I'd go 2K just to have it in my collection but 10K NO WAY!

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:06 pm

westsideduck wrote:Gabe confirmed it, he said he had a zillion e-mails when it hit the bay, Not worth that kinda coin though, maybe 5K to the right guy, if I was into that sort of thing I might go 3K and I'd go 2K just to have it in my collection but 10K NO WAY!

And certainly not without an actual working Roland guitar synth. Otherwise the whole guitar does not make a hell of a lot of sense.

- Jos

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:29 pm

I should have known there was already a post on this (thanks, jos)... Well, if I decide to sell every guitar I have, plus a few vintage amps, then.... no, you guys are right. not worth it. I wonder how he came about it... do you guys think this is the only one?

I've never used a guitar synth before...

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:35 pm

yoeleven wrote:My Secret Santa sent this to me......

I had completely forgotten about that photo. My buddy, co-webmaster Dean, took that photo when he was documenting
the factory blueprints.

I contacted Larry (aka HLG) about this and asked if he would contact Dale Hyatt about it. Here's his reply:

Hello Craig.
Just spoke with Dale about the Skyhawk. He has no personal knowledge of the guitar. He checked the logbook and
the S/N G015990 was left blank. The date on the print posted by Yo Eleven is 6-15-84 which closely corresponds to
the time line. According to Dale the next listed S/N (G015991) in the logbook has a date of 6-18-84. Dale also
mentioned that prototypes and special build guitars occasionally did not get listed in the logs. His thoughts are that
it may have been a special build since there is a print. He brought up the name Buddy Kendricks which also resided in
Garden Grove Ca. (the present location of the guitar). The late Mr. Kendricks was heavy into the synthesizers of the
time and a few G&L instruments were built specifically for him. Whether or not this particular guitar was built for or
belonged to Mr. Kendricks is speculation at this point.
Approximately 3 months ago a G&L sold on ebay with a similar, if not the same Roland set-up. At the time I didn't give
it much thought. I'll check my records to see if I saved any info or photos of it.
Gabe called me last evening and we spoke of this guitar. He knew of the prints that were posted and the existence of
this guitar. He said he is unaware of anymore specifics including the past or present owner.

Regards
Larry

Definitely an interesting piece - it will be interesting to see if and what it finally goes for.
I just re-checked the auction and this listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.
Must have received an offer outside of the auction. Anyone here score this :?: :evilgrin:

I will be adding the auction photos to our G&L Prototypes Album in the Gallery soon.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:58 am

Craig, Larry, and Dale, thanks again for the great info you guys come up with time and time again.

Craig wrote:I just re-checked the auction and this listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.
Must have received an offer outside of the auction. Anyone here score this :?: :evilgrin:

The guitar got relisted for the same price mind you. So you still stand a chance ;)

Added: No you don't :!: It was taken off again at 2:49pm PDT this afternoon.

Added part 2: And now it's back again. See this listing which is open ended but with reserve!

- Jos