Interesting '84 SC-2

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:58 am

Does anyone know if G&L repainted (switch colors) already finished bodies during the Leo era? I know this happened during the 50's with custom color Stratocasters. I bought a black '84 SC-2 that has red paint showing through at the wear spots! The black paint appears to be original. If it was refinished after it left the factory then someone did an exceptional job. The guitar arrived filthy and with sky high action. After some scrubbing, TLC, & a set-up it's turned out to be a nice playing guitar. I still need to swap out the knobs and strap buttons for the correct OEM parts.

Sprinter 92

Re: Interesting '84 SC-2

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:55 am

Hey Steve! Do you have any pics of the control cavity, trem cavity and neck pocket? My guess is it is a factory job as most refins I've seen leave some residue of the original finish in the pickup routs and the aforementioned areas. Nice score on the beast, I was wondering who got it! :banana:

Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:47 pm

yoeleven wrote:Hey Steve! Do you have any pics of the control cavity, trem cavity and neck pocket? My guess is it is a factory job as most refins I've seen leave some residue of the original finish in the pickup routs and the aforementioned areas. Nice score on the beast, I was wondering who got it! :banana:

I did take some pictures of the areas you mentioned and they didn't turn out very good. The control and tremolo cavities don't show any sign of red paint. The ground plate in the control cavity is properly attached to the floor of the cavity. I'm 99% sure the black paint was applied by G&L.

Sprinter 92

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:05 pm

it certainly looks like G&L black from that period and like other SC's i've seen. might be an interesting back story on this one if there were any way to get more info about it. at any rate an extremely sweet Mustang-body SC'2. btw, how is the neck feel on yours? while SC3's are usually pencil thin, at least up to the 3rd gen, pickguard models, the SC'2's i've played always felt relatively full and round. hope you're able to uncover the story on this one.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:00 am

I like your guitar. Be sure to post more pics when you have it like you want it. I really need to play one of those. Hard to find though.