Can't find any like it...

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:33 pm

I have an SB 2 fretless bass. I haven't been able to find any even remotely like it and am curious about how common/rare it is and want to get an idea of what it's worth. If anyone has any input, I would really appreciate it. Also, if there is a way to post pics, I have some I could post.

Re: Can't find any like it...

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi gypsyviolin,

By searching through the Registry for SB-2, ebony board and 'fretless' as another keyword, I find 13 registered instrument on a total of 346 registered SB-2's. There are also 2 registered fretless SB's with a rosewood board. So assuming the registered instruments are a random sample of what is out there, about 4.3% of the SB-2 are fretless. Doing the same little test for L-1000's, you'll find 34 out of 438 (or about 7.5%), 36 out of 643fretless L-2000 (or about 5.5%), etc. So all numbers are within a factor of 2. To claim the number of fretless basses for any G&L model is less than 10% is a fairly safe bet to make.

For value, I would have to consult what the Vintage Guitar 2011 Price Guide is listing the SB-2 for. I will look up that number this evening.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

P.S. To post pictures, read these Guide Lines and use the 'Img' tags with the URL to the picture on a hosting site between the tags.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:32 pm

As far as the worth of the bass, I need to know what year it is and it's condition, Fretless are actualy worth less as there is not as large of a market for them.

gary

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:49 pm

Thank you for the info. I'm not sure what year it is, but the serial number is B022822. It's got a rosewood board a 3 tone burst.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:15 pm

The Price Guide only has one range listed for all SB-2 made between 1982 and 2009. For a specimen in excellent condition the range is between $600 and $725.

Hope this helps.

- Jos

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:02 pm

gypsyviolin wrote:Thank you for the info. I'm not sure what year it is, but the serial number is B022822. It's got a rosewood board a 3 tone burst.

It looks to be a 1990. See G&L's Chronology & Dating page.
Please do post a photo or two.

Hope this helps.