F-100 Series II

Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:34 am

I've been thinking a lot about that old beat up F-100 I saw last week in a music store. Who could tell me more, as in, everything I'd want to know about F-100's, spec-wise? I currently do not own a humbucker equipped guitar, so it would fill a tonal hole. I only played through a crap Peavey solid state amp, so I really don't know what is should sound like. It was mahogany bodied maple neck with all original hardware and electronics. What is this guitar a good comparison/substitution for? A Les Paul? I got my strat and tele tones all covered.

Re: F-100 Series II

Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:04 am

IMO the hog bodied 100's are the best sounding, it's not a LP type bucker tone, There are some tasty clean tones to be had but the 100 really shines in a high gain situation, doesn't get muddy like a paul can. don't they have a decent amp at that music store? If not ask if you can take it home to try it out or bring your amp to the store, that's the only way you're gonna know if you like it or not.

gary

Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:30 am

There are at least 4 tracks, where my F-100 has been used for the solo guitar. Just make a text search there for "F-100"!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=956675&content=music

It's this one:

Image<--click

Body is Mahogany. Except in hi-gain sounds it always shows it's Fender legacy. As it doesn't have a middle pickup, it can not cover all Stratocaster tones, but close to them of the Telecaster. Especially if you use it in single coil mode and put low frequencies down with the second tone control.

I hopefully will get another one, with active electronics and a Trem in the next weeks. :)

Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:54 am

westsideduck wrote:IMO the hog bodied 100's are the best sounding, it's not a LP type bucker tone, There are some tasty clean tones to be had but the 100 really shines in a high gain situation, doesn't get muddy like a paul can. don't they have a decent amp at that music store? If not ask if you can take it home to try it out or bring your amp to the store, that's the only way you're gonna know if you like it or not.

gary

I have played my Mahogany f-100 II very extensively over the last 20 years. Gary is right on with his description--in addition, IMO it's not a great guitar to copy other sounds, but love it if you are are creating your own set. I modified mine, and right now don't have the mini-toggles. One sound that I used to like once in a while was playing pickups out of phase. I am restoring the electronics to the original config right now, mostly for fun, but also to get that setting back.

I think for a few hundred bucks, you'd love having it around to complement your collection. But I am biased!

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:49 pm

I'm late to the thread, but I've got a mahogany hard tail F-100 that I just love. I use it through a '61 Vibrolux that's got a bit more gain than most, but I don't dime the amp and I use no effects pedals. IMO, it has it's own wonderful sound like no other guitar. I don't really like the very clean sounds from it - for that I use a Strat - but mildly overdriven with the treble rolled back a bit and the bass rolled back a bit is just great. It's sort of like a '70s blues-rock sound, warm and creamy but with enough treble character to keep it from sounding like just another Les Paul. It's got all the midrange of a P-90 but it stays articulate and controlled whereas P-90s to me often sound sloppy and ragged. The way it works for me with my amp is that the bass control gives it more or less thickness and drive... roll it back, and the guitar cleans up and gets a little spanky and chimey, roll it up and it gets thicker and meatier. The treble control I use to get just enough high end bite and twang without it getting too bright, and I don't tend to change it that much.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:44 am

Miles Smiles wrote:I hopefully will get another one, with active electronics and a Trem in the next weeks. :)

To have it here complete, I already have it, here both they are:

More pictures:
http://i.wuell.net/gallery/view_album.p ... Name=F100E
http://i.wuell.net/gallery/view_album.p ... ame=Family