DALE HYATT, G&L'S 6 STRING BASS, LEO'S NEW FINE TUNERS

Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:26 pm

Since it's Dale Hyatt's birthday today, Dec 10th, I thought I would post a copy of an article by Musical Merchandise Review (June 1988) in which Dale talks about new things going on at G&L in 1988.ImageImage

Re: DALE HYATT, G&L'S 6 STRING BASS, LEO'S NEW FINE TUNERS

Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:16 am

Thanks for posting that HLG, I found it very interesting, especially the part about endorsements. I've often wondered why you don't see more 'stars' playing them.

Did the violin style tuners ever eventuate? I can't imagine them being all that useful, guitar tuning machines are highly accurate things, especially when you compare them to the pegs used on violins.

And what pickup design are they referring to?

Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:41 pm

+1 thanks for posting this HLG.

Perhaps you might know or could ask Dale, about Leo's last prototype he built: the Baritone guitar.
What was the idea behind it? Was it something that dealers were asking for or just what Leo felt
was needed to be built next?

Thanks for all the G&L gems you have posted so far and do keep them coming! :thumbup:

Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:52 pm

Thanks for the post HLG. Wonder what that pickup was, as it was 88 could it be that elusive pickup mentioned in the other post that Leo scrapped? the supposedly amazing one?

Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:03 pm

My guess is that it refers to the Z-coil pickups that were released on the Comanche around that time or slightly later. The first entry for a Comanche model in Greg Gagliano site is 1990. Note that the patent for Z-coild (USD319456) was filed May 13, 1988 and granted August 27, 1991 which would jibe with the time line.

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:31 am

Me thinks you're right about the pickup being the z-coil, Inspector Jos.