f100 info

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:56 am

I need some info on the pickups on my f100. Specifically the electronics. I know what the knobs do (tone and volume), but not the specifics of the switches - coil splitters, phase? Was inherited so I don't know much about it, even though I am knowledgable about guitars in general. Thanks

Re: f100 info

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:55 pm

Some posted this a while ago. I couldn't quickly lay my eye on the post, so here it is again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYuIxjvnOsE

I love the f-100!

Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:52 pm

The rear switch is an out-of-phase switch and it's on when pointing to the head stock. When the phase switcher is on, the pickup selector is out of the way, because you anyway need both pickups for that.

The one switch in the middle is the coil-splitter. It still does work when the out-of-phase switch is on. An interesting thing is, that the coil splitting doesn't work absolutely. The second coils are laid on ground with a capacitor in between. So it gets a more bassier sound, because low frequencies of the switched away coil are still going it's way to the output jack, while higher frequencies, which pass the capacitor more easily, are short cut. With this, the hum cancelling abilities of the humbuckers are reduced but not completely gone in the single coil mode.
Because the second tone control does filter low frequencies, one can get a more thin single coil sound too.

Here's a sight to the electronics (click at the picture for more!)

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:42 pm

f100blaster wrote:I need some info on the pickups on my f100. Specifically the electronics. I know what the knobs do (tone and volume), but not the specifics of the switches - coil splitters, phase? Was inherited so I don't know much about it, even though I am knowledgable about guitars in general. Thanks

Check out the F-100 and F-100E Instructions sheets we have in the Gallery in the Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics Album.

Hope this helps.